Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sore wings on ducklings  (Read 1526 times)

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
Sore wings on ducklings
« on: July 07, 2015, 04:50:23 pm »
I've hatched 4 ducklings under a broody hen, they are all in a small pen in the barn to keep them safe from cats, rats, foxes etc until the little ones are bigger.

They are now 5 weeks old and starting to lose their baby down and get proper feathers. Two of them have got very sore places on their wings, on the knuckle of what would be their wrist joints - red, sore and weeping. It's happened quite suddenly, they were fine yesterday. Any idea what might be causing it and what would be the best thing to do?   I treated them all (including the hen) with louse powder a couple of weeks ago as I noticed one or two lice on one of the babies and have done them again this morning in case that was the cause, although I can't see lice on them.  They look so sore - can I use Aloe Vera or Sudacrem on them? I've got some Oxytet spray (blue spray) but it says it's for sheep etc doesn't mention poultry - would it harm them?

Thanks.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Sore wings on ducklings
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 08:19:47 am »
I'm a great applier of Sudocrem! Maybe the ducklings have been nibbling at each other and should go out by day?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS