Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rabbits....help  (Read 2668 times)

Ratty

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Nr Wadebridge, North Cornwall
Rabbits....help
« on: March 03, 2010, 01:53:48 pm »
Last year the rabbits almost cleared our veg plot, any advice on best method of fencing? We have 3 plots 10M sq.
The problem is now gaining in number...... as they're already breeding like rabbits!

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Rabbits....help
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 05:17:18 pm »
Small mesh chicken wire does the trick,just make sure its dug in the ground a bit to deter them at the base. Hermit

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 06:33:20 pm »
Its an ongoing problem on the Yarborough Estate they have erected kilometers of it they plough or hand dig it in 9" to a foot then drive stakes in to staple it to keeping it tight, because bunny is good at digging in light soil It looks bad when there is no crop up the wood side for 25 to 30 mtrs into the field There are just to many to shoot
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 07:35:28 pm »
What about advertising the land to local feretters?
22 action 
 ;D
 ;D

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 01:58:41 pm »
I hate rabbits.

My veg plot looks like Colditz - I have even "joked" about putting a gun tower in the corner!  ;D  Now they can't get in they are making tunnels everywhere in the garden (drainage ditches at the side of my garden are like luxury penthouses to them) 

I do get my other half to pee down the rabbit holes though, and my terrier does the same -it does seem to deter the rabbits.

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 02:02:34 pm »
Yes, like Hermit says, if you put wire mesh around, make sure you install the mesh a foot deep into the ground (at least), and make sure there are no burrows in the area that you are fencing off, otherwise you'd be keeping some bunnies IN and not keeping them out  ;D

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 02:10:01 pm »
Can you borrow or hire a Rodenator Oops or is it Bang Either its most effective ??? :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS