Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: using a broody hen for muscovy eggs?  (Read 2799 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
using a broody hen for muscovy eggs?
« on: July 02, 2015, 09:19:46 pm »
I have a determined broody-a silkie cross Marsh Daisy who's already raised some chicks for me this year. She's sitting again and I don't want more hens this year-wouldn't mind some more ducklings. I'll be setting eggs of the muscovies anyway this month, is it worth putting four under her? Wasn't sure if the 35 day incubation period might throw them?

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
Re: using a broody hen for muscovy eggs?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 10:53:17 pm »
l have had 2 hens hatch duck eggs very well and rear them, it is well worth a try.  If she hatches them you could always incubate the others and slip them under her with the ones she hatches and she will rear them all for you.  The extra time for incubation may not put her off.  I had a hen try to hatch fresh air for 5 weeks before she gave up, but she was a bit dim.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 01:44:35 pm »
I don't let a broody sit more than once in a year. It does take it out of them and ours have harsh winter conditions to contend with come November.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 03:52:57 pm »
My hens have hatched out muscovys calls runners guinea fowl and geese with no problems at all. Make sure she gets a good quality feed to keep her in good condition and she will be fine. Even my call ducks would sit twice a year and all the muscovys  do too! Hens can hatch two to three clutches in a year with no adverse effects as long as you look after them. De louse worm etc etc

I love seeing a hen with ducklings! Pls post pics later on :)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 05:11:45 pm »
I don't let a broody sit more than once in a year. It does take it out of them and ours have harsh winter conditions to contend with come November.

I wouldn't normally either but she's an excellent broody who looks after herself. She eats twice a day when sitting, stops looking after chicks at 6 weeks and then comes straight back into lay after moving herself back in to the main coop. It's been several weeks since she's left them and is in great body condition, just been wormed. She's quite the character and has certainly taken it more in her stride than other broodies I've had (must be the silkie influence!).

I expect at least one of the muscovies to sit again this year so will be putting aside eggs for them in a week or so as well. Haven't made my mind up yet, if she's still adamant in a few days we'll see-unless I get fed up of being attacked when collecting eggs before then!

sarab

• Joined Jun 2015
    • New Start, New Life in Bulgaria
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 09:50:56 am »
One of our hens raised a (unfortunately lone) duckling this year, a couple of others didn't hatch. She is an excellent mother and we didn't want chicks. There were no problems, from day one Mum would dust bathe while duckling swam in a water dish. They stayed in with all the other ducks and chickens as all our's do and there are never problems till the boys grow up, and even then it's not serious. She started to sit again before ducky wanted to let go, but it just used to sit next to her for a while at a time. Now she has five chicks and it still wants to be a chicken. But it is starting to hang out with the ducks a bit when the nowty lady will let it but retires to the hen house rather than duck house at night.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS