Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rude Customers and how to deal with them  (Read 4248 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Rude Customers and how to deal with them
« on: March 03, 2010, 11:27:34 am »

For all who work With Rude Customers, shame WE can't actually do this! 

An award should go to the Virgin Airlines desk attendant in Sydney some months ago for being smart and funny, while making her point, when confronted with a passenger who probably deserved to fly as cargo.

A crowded Virgin flight was cancelled after Virgin's 767s had been withdrawn from service. A single attendant was rebooking a long line of inconvenienced travellers. Suddenly an angry passenger pushed his way to the desk.  He slapped his ticket down on the counter and said, 'I HAVE to be on this flight and it HAS to be FIRST CLASS'.   

The attendant replied, 'I'm sorry, sir. I'll be happy to try to help you, but I've got to help these people first, and I'm sure we'll be able to work something out..'

The passenger was unimpressed. He asked loudly, so that the passengers behind him could hear, 'DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHO I AM?'   Without hesitating, the attendant smiled and grabbed her public address microphone: 'May I have your attention please, may I have your attention please,' she began - her voice heard clearly throughout the terminal - 'We have a passenger here at Desk 14 WHO DOES NOT KNOW WHO HE IS. If anyone can help him find his identity, please come to Desk 14.'

With the folks behind him in line laughing hysterically, the man glared at the Virgin attendant, gritted his teeth
and said, 'F... You!'   Without flinching, she smiled and said, (I love this bit) 'I'm sorry, sir, but you'll have to get in line for that too.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Rude Customers and how to deal with them
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 11:47:48 am »
I love that!!  Yes, if only we could actually bring ourselves to say the same.  Ok, probably get sacked, but worth it.

I have put up with dealing with rude, arrogant, people, who do not seem to care who they are speaking to, so long as they get what they want, now, and other people can wait.  Having always been told the customer is always right .....gritting your teeth and smiling, is not always easy.

I amazed myself with the patience I had both dealing with people on the phone and in person.  One man in particular was so rude, he gave his name, and demanded action there and then.  He never cared who he was inconveniencing, whether what he wanted was possible, just do it.  The amount of times he had the whole office running round in a flap to do as he said.  Yes, he gave us a lot of business, but a please and thank you would be nice even if occasionally.

Nowadays, I always make sure I thank people for their help, whether in person or on the phone.  One man, told me, no one ever thanked him, just yelled and shouted abuse, as if the situation was his fault, which it wasn't.  Courtesy and manners cost nothing, sadly both are lacking in todays world!!!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 11:52:59 am »
ooohhhhHH Rosemary that is better than some of my fictitious ones.Absolutely ace That lass definitely needed NO extra in house training did she.Nor promotion she may have had more pay but definitely in the right job I'm Still laughing :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 11:57:16 am »
My worst experience was when I went to the cupboard to get something for a customer, next thing I knew was a mightly whack on my bottom!!!

Customer looked aghast, and so did I .....he apologised and said he did not know what had come over him.  This was some years ago,.  Now, I would not hesitate, customer or not, he would get a whack across his face.  I think I did very well not to lose my decorum and keep calm.  Nowadays, it would be classed as assault, but such a word was unheard of then.

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 04:13:03 pm »
I remember years ago when I worked at a supermarket two incidences that clearly have me giggling even now.

I was bag packing for a cashier as we were so busy and wanted to get the customers through as soon as poss when a known bolshy lady who thought she owned all she surveyed came through.
She started to throw the tins etc down to me trying to catch my hands and arms so I did no more than told the cashier to stop and then put my hand in the air and shouted very loudly "Can I have security as there is a customer here who is assaulting me. Security I am being assaulted" 
The whole till end stopped and stared at her and me but she stopped throwing things. She stalked out of the shop to the loud claps of the staff.

We had to wear name tags placed in a prominant position and most are pinned on our chests and a very obnoxious customer thinking he was clever asked me, "Whats the name of your other t*t?"  I replied "If you tell me the name of your left B*llock Ill tell you the name of my t*t!"
The other customers burst out laughing and obnoxious customer went red.

Years later when I had finished my training as a nurse I was his nurse in a ward, I could see he remembered me as he went red and wouldn't look me in the eye. The first chance I got i whispered to him "If you make any sexual comment or attempt to touch me I'm going to get a catheter the size of a garden hose and very clumsy trainee nurse and see how you like that."

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 04:31:32 pm »
Jackie a mucky story The elephants went down to the pool for their drink and a playfull turtle swam under water and nipped this particular elephant on the end of his trunk.He surfaced and swam about laughing at the elephant.Now many years later the same herd came down to the pool from their wanderings and there was this turtle asleep on the bank.The elephants filed past all but one,who gave the turtle a massive kick and landed him in the middle of the pool.When the turtle came up coughing and spluttering said Why did you do that to which the elephant replied Turtle recall
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 04:51:27 pm »
Hehehehe  ;D

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 09:09:57 pm »
It sounds like one of my mum's friends incident with a passenger on board an aircraft,

This one particular man had been giving her grief the whole of the flight, he started complaing about the food, and she was forced to bring in the head stewardess,

"What seems to be the problem sir?"

"This food isn't fit to be served to a F'ing pig!!!"

Her 3 second reply to his comment was "If you hang on one moment sir, i will find you something that is" smiles politely, lifts his tray, and walks off

;D
Just goes to show that ignorance gets you nowhere

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 08:12:55 am »
 ;D ;D ;D

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 08:17:31 am »
Still not as good as the first post It was a cracker lass of me own heart she was (is I hope) Ive had one or two run ins with the queue jumping brigade. ;D

sandy

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 07:22:56 pm »
It's great when you can come up with a oneliner that stops them in thier tracks...love it!! ;D

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 07:41:34 pm »
The problem is, the oneliner usually pops into my head six hours after it's happened, so I'm left kicking myself for not thinking it up earlier  ::)

sandy

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 10:12:51 pm »
I am the same, I have a quick whit but am stumpted sometimes and go away and then the penny drops....

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 09:51:29 am »
Sage and Sandy don't most of us :D ;D :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS