Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: More about quails  (Read 1240 times)

The_Hawthorne_Pack

• Joined Jun 2015
More about quails
« on: July 01, 2015, 01:52:33 pm »
Sad and happy weekend here at nuisance neighbour central (aka Hawthorne-pack den).  Happy because for the second time in a couple of months I have been midwife to a tiny quail chick that wouldn't have broken out of its shell without intervention.  We now have five more babies and are fervently hoping  :fc: :fc: that more are females.  We did wonder if temperature or humidity had an effect on the sex of the growing embryo as it does in crocodiles (amongst other things) but all the research we read was inconclusive.  Mike's Dad had an experience he has never had before, holding a tiny newly hatched chick in his hands, see you're never to old for new experiences!
Sad weekend as well, as I have had to dispatch three of our existing quails.  Mainly for shrieking at the tops of their voices ALL NIGHT LONG!!  We began to have a little understanding with our neighbours who complain about the noise.  It doesn't normally bother us, but when it is non-stop....... :o   Oh, to be living somewhere that they could shout all they wanted and no one would say anything!
Also, I have just added rudimentary butchery to my list of skills, thanks  to half a pig  :pig: from Snapper.  I know it sounds daft, but I did enjoy cutting it up into recognisable joints and chops etc. thanks to a video by Scott Rea.  If you haven't seen him, thescottreaproject is his FaceBook page, well worth a visit.   (Secretly, I think the butchery appealed to the psychopath in me, but don't tell anyone :P  ;))

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: More about quails
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 11:15:39 pm »
I love Scott Rea's videos!!

The_Hawthorne_Pack

• Joined Jun 2015
Re: More about quails
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 09:29:18 pm »
Yes, he's so down to earth and straightforward. So easy to follow.  Looking forward to doing lamb next.  :excited:
I got a slow-cooker pulled pork recipe from chow.com It was gorgeous.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS