Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: to castrate or not to castrate??  (Read 3731 times)

katelock

• Joined Mar 2008
to castrate or not to castrate??
« on: May 26, 2008, 08:53:19 pm »
Hi all. I have a pen with 3 gilts and a boar in. They are all now about 4 months old and the old farmers around here are all advising me - with much sucking of teeth - to get the boar castrated. I don't want to - I have no idea how to! but also because the boar is a beautiful Tamworth and we may breed from him if it turns out he is a beauty when a bit more mature. I am planning to slaughter at 6 months at present. Any thoughts? am i write to hold off chopping bits off? Kate

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: to castrate or not to castrate??
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 09:42:22 pm »
Males would normally be castrated at a few days old, he is much to old to castrate now. If it was to happen it would need to be under anethsetic by a qualified vet.

I adour Tammys and if you think he is a good example to breed with then go for it.  You will need to start thinking about separating him from the gilts now however.  In the next few weeks he will start to  mature, and before you know it he will be covering your gilts who could well come into season at the same time as he becomes active.

It would be a disaster for your gilts to become pregnant at a young age.  It stunts their growth and they will never reach full size. It happened to us with one of our gilts.  She had really healthy young, and she is a lovely pig, but she is small.  The vet explained that she would never grow to full size but it would not affect the growth of her young.  It does however mean that she will never have large litters because of her size.

If you do go the route of slaughering him, the same applies, you will still have to move him away from the gilts.  You could then however keep him until 8/9 months and give him that extra growing time.

Let us know what you decided to do wont you.

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 07:34:55 am »
Agree wholeheartedly with Kate, but if you do move him away, find him a companion, either an older gilt for breeding with or a neutered male, as if he is used to company and moved away he will either pine or break out to get back with the girls.  HM

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 08:42:33 am »
Yes HM had missed that point.  They become very attached to their friendship groups wether that is  family or not, so yes, arrangements for him advised otherwise he could become depressed. I use castrated potbellies as companion pigs and this works very well for us.

A pity you don't live in France - I have just had potbelly litter number 2 born - another 8 to add to last weeks 14 and one litter to go yet.

If you have followed my other thread about the reason for so many, it was that nextdoors Potbelly male broke in causing havoc and the litters are the result, no my choice at all.  Well in true French style, they came over with a bottle of chilled wine to toast their boy - as much as I love my French neighbours/friends I nearly choked!! With the prospect of around 30 potbellies here there doesn't seem much to celebrate!

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 05:11:41 pm »
Kate just think of all the gorgeous pork pies you will be able to make.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS