Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: a moment of self doubt  (Read 4513 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
a moment of self doubt
« on: June 30, 2015, 01:46:23 am »
we put one of last years billy kids off to the abattoir today and despite all my best efforts to not get attached I always do. It's the same every time something takes their final journey (except the pigs I must admit) and I know next month I'll be swimming in a new batch of kids and the process starts all over again.
someone asked me the other day do i get upset when they have to go and I always say yes, I can't help it but the rest of the year I'm quite matter of fact about it all then the day comes and I'm a blubbering mess again.
It does make me question sometimes why we do this even though I know the answer.
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: a moment of self doubt
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 08:50:40 am »
I'll be in bits when my cows go away - and they're only going to another breeder, not for the chop.  :)

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 12:13:18 pm »
I think its quite understandable, especially if you have small numbers.

However, one thing I really do struggle to understand, is how folk can send lambs that they have bottle reared off. My local slaughter house see it quite a lot, a small holder who has bought 2-4 cades, and reared them, and have them tame like dogs. . . . . and then send them to slaughter.

They are always crying their eyes out at the gates of the abattoir. Surely raising a few stores, or just buying meat from a good source would be better for these people???

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 10:20:32 pm »
I've had to do that. Not always the intention but sometimes the bottle lambs just don't make the grade for breeding etc. I had one I had literally brought back from the dead, bottle fed her, straightened her legs, beautiful suffolk pedigree but she suddenly went backwards and kept getting fly struck due to squitty bum. Decided it was kinder to slaughter than have her go through another summer.

Broke my heart. I've sent a few off including goat kids and it is tough but they usually get annoying in the end and i focus on that!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 09:20:08 am »
that is so true Scotsgirl, he was starting to get a bit boisterous but still loved a cuddle  :hug:

I knew he was being done in the morning so up until lunchtime I kept thinking I could go and save him but after that when I knew it was all over I felt better about it, maybe more resigned than better if you know what I mean?

As for bottle fed lambs, I always end up with an orphan or 2 from neighbours and if they are are wethers then they go to slaughter when they get to a decent kill weight
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 12:52:32 pm »
I was the same when I took my two off the other week. Not so much Cloud as she was only going because she was so aggressive towards me and OH (and anyone else who tried to touch her) but I did give Cassi a stroke and tell her I was sorry.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 12:31:25 am »
I was the same when I took my two off the other week. Not so much Cloud as she was only going because she was so aggressive towards me and OH (and anyone else who tried to touch her) but I did give Cassi a stroke and tell her I was sorry.

sounds like you've had a tough couple of weeks MGoM  :hug:

I did feel ok (kind of) when he came back from the abattoir today but then he doesn't look like my Teddy Bear anymore

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 09:54:16 pm »

I did feel ok (kind of) when he came back from the abattoir today but then he doesn't look like my Teddy Bear anymore

Just don't give them names....

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 11:38:13 pm »
I give mine appropriate names. The first to be eaten was Curry and the second was Cassi, short for Casserole.

Yes, Feisty, it's been a bit of a difficult time but we're getting there. The fact that Pom is back to her usual self and giving milk helps a lot.

I do still wonder if the kid would have survived if I'd called the vet sooner though.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 06:22:03 pm »
Vet said best to call if she had been pushing for 2 hours without progress and it was only a little past that when we did. She was so tied up that he did say she was unlikely to have made it. Don't beat yourself up, I know it's hard not to play the "what if" game. :hug:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 11:31:54 pm »
I know but it's hard not to wonder. I am mainly focusing on being thankful that Pom is alright.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 07:40:34 pm »
And that is a lot to be thankful for. Roll on Thursday when you are back in milk. I suppose brutal as it sounds, the other silver linings are that you get all the milk yourself and don't have to share and you don't have to go through sending one to slaughter when the time comes. I know not much consolation.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 12:17:30 am »
No it's not much consolation but it's what I've been thinking myself. Pom is well now. That's what matters.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS