Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hay for beginners?!  (Read 9941 times)

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Re: Hay for beginners?!
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2015, 09:02:30 am »
I raw feed my dogs and no longer vaccinate them beyond first booster after puppy vax, but I DO worm mine every 3-4m as they visit fields where livestock go on.. but also worms can be passed on to children as well as causing many problems including lungworm and even heartworm as mentioned above.

Do you really think a tablet per dog every 3m is such a big deal when it prevents so many problems for multiple species?? You can even worm naturally if you are worried about chemicals - things like verm-x make the gut less parasite friendly and DE can be used to dessicate any parasites present, but both are more effective if you start with an "empty" gut as they have limited use against large numbers

Toxocara, Toxoplasmosis, Tape worm ALL can be passed onto people as well as animals (and the tapeworm is linked to spread from fleas too) and you need a  massive worm burden in an animal to see signs. You can also pick up worms from rabbit fleas (or fox fleas).

So tapeworms are actually one of the easiest things to catch, even in a "closed" environment... just sayin'  :innocent:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2015, 09:43:42 am »
You could bale small bales, is there someone around which could do it for you. If you don't really need the hay you could bale it and sell it to farmers over the winter. One question is there any ragwort in the field? Am gonna have too much hay over this winter, thankfully am importing some more stock so that should sort that problem out. :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2015, 09:18:32 am »
Im in a similar position to the OP ( .... not re dogs, I ...Im back on hay now!)
When we lost our big horses we lost our brilliant lawnmowers. We now have about 5 acres of knee high meadow grass. Yes, I intended to top it regularly but other jobs took over and its got away from us.
Do you think its now too long for someone to take as silage? I don't think we can count on a hay-making window any time soon over here
Is it time to retire yet?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2015, 05:59:49 pm »
I'M  sure some one will want it ,you could put a big sign on the gate and an advert with your local ag shop or mention it to the neighbour that knows everyone  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS