Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sweetcorn  (Read 2159 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
sweetcorn
« on: July 13, 2015, 07:34:03 am »
http://s1245.photobucket.com/user/kitchencottage/media/allotment4_zpsryzekcnb.jpg.html?sort=3&o=8#/user/kitchencottage/media/allotment4_zpsryzekcnb.jpg.html?sort=3&o=8&_suid=1436769153660018034960728380916

sorry, but this is my sweetcorn about 10 days ago, it is now a lot bushier but.... I haven't actually seen any corn!  When can I expect to see the corn head?  Does this look right or too far behind to finish.  I am in essex.

Thanks

(sorry the piccie is too big to post directly)

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 08:11:47 am »
Mine looks to be at about the same stage. The cobs will start forming soon, but will take time to ripen. Your garden is coming along fine, just keep enjoying the fruits ( or vegetables!) of your labour. Home grown veg always tastes the best.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 09:31:49 am »
If its any conciliation KC our sweetcorn is exactly at the same stage and we're up in Perthshire  :cold: 
The flowering spikes are just starting to pop up above the leaves but no signs of the silks yet.  I'm happy with the growth stage of ours (certainly given the poor weather that we've had).  The problem could be later on....getting the cobs to ripen  :thinking:

On another note - I LOVE your veg patch...very jealous.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 09:43:45 am »
Think of a maize crop in a field - it's way taller than yours, so be patient.  It looks healthy and if we get some sun you'll get cobs, all in good time.  If not, start them off in big pots indoors earlier next year, plant out carefully.  That's the great thing about gardens - if it doesn't work one year, try again next year  :garden:

I grow mine inside my polytunnel (S Scotland, at 1000', cold and windy).  When I have tried them outside, they never grew as big or as healthy as yours, just small and yellowy, so now it's always indoors.  My current crop is taller than yours and I've not noticed anything developing yet.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 11:39:09 pm »
I have veg patch envy now.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS