Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do I need permission to remove a dry stone wall?  (Read 20442 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Do I need permission to remove a dry stone wall?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 06:25:02 pm »
I've said it before, but I'll say it again - I REALLy like your style, Russ.  Funnily it occurred to me that as the entrance was narrow it could get knocked down easily ;) ;) ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 12:08:51 am »
 ::) ;D ;D... cheers Annie.... ;D I just think outside  the box most of the time , always have done really . But I did have EXACTLY the same problem when I had a house of my own years ago . No way would I get permission to cut the trees down that blocked all the light in my kitchen and garden ,( 3 60' Ash trees ) ,or to knock down 5 foot of the stone wall that went round my garden , which as it happened, the bit I wanted to knock down was falling down anyway  !!! So one windy night ( well just a bit after the wind had died down actually !!), I was out there at 4 in the morning with the bow saw !!!!! :o ::) Oops Problem solved . Then bugger me , someone hit the wall one night and knocked it over .... ::) ::) ::) er... problem solved again . I repaired the wall, but it ended up 5 foot shorter than before , and the trees kept me warm all winter , and all the neighbours said how much lighter it was there and wasn't it good that the wind had blown them down ? ...wasn't it just !!! :o ::) ::)

cheers

Russ

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 06:08:16 am »
rusty you must of read my mind, think twice before ringing planning people there are other crafty ways of getting things done, we had a huge row with planners when we excavated some ground to get better access to livestock buildings, planners argued that we should go for change of use as its now being used for residential which was absolute rubbish, we refused to back down and never heard any more. seems to be a huge lack of common sense with planners. The tree you want to remove may be unsafe? go and plant 50 trees somewhere else on your land!

Rob_Beginner!

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 06:32:20 am »
Thanks Rusty & Garden Cottage I do believe the weather in mid-wales is notoriously bad this time of year  ;) ;)
Appreciate the 'thinking out of the box'  ;D. Tho' I do have a neighbour nearby also and dont want to pee him off just shortly after I move in so need to think how to appease him.

Thanks again guys!

Rob

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 08:02:00 am »
Rob check there isn't a silly bluddi conservation order on the tree.Chap across the road removed a straggly worn out Yew from the middle of his drive way one has to drive either side of it.He had the tree surgeons fell it and dig out the root he then reinstated the drive grand job Council took him to court and he has had to replace it.It was to do with some ancient boundary or something.He is still hopping mad.Suggest you don't mention it if you meet ??? :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Dangermouse

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 11:49:07 am »
Accidently drill some holes in the base of the tree just below ground level, the accidently fill them with Petrol  :o

2 months later the tree will be dead

So what ever you do be very careful with your drill and petrol  ;)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 05:25:10 pm »
Why go to all that bother DM just leave a rusty can of diesel against it.You cannot plant anything in the ground there for a couple of years though.Mind you dont want to do you :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 07:26:28 pm »
Good grief, I didn't realise I was consorting with a gang of crooks ;D ;D ;D ;D  Up to all the dodges ain't we? ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 08:57:10 pm »
MMMmmmm ....

not me guv... not me !!!!!

I ain't dun nuffin 'onest !! nuffin !!

A man's got a heart hasn't he ?,
 joking apart ,hasn't he ?,
 and tho' i'd be the first one to say I wasn't a saint ....
 i'm finding it hard to be really as black as they paint .....

I'm.....
 reviewing ,
 the situation ,
 can a fellow be a villian all his life ?
 all the trials and tribulations ,
 better settle down and get myself a wife.

And the wife would cook and sew for me ,
 and come for me and go for me ,
 and go for me and nag at me ,
 the finger she will wag at me,
 the money she will take from me,
 A misery she'll make for me......

I think i'd better think it out again !!!!

cheers

Fagin er  Russ

« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 09:06:35 pm by RUSTYME »

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 09:14:54 pm »
Well Annie I look at it like this one gets no where playing by the rules don't ask, do it and let them correct you if they find out you have done it.Then they have to prove malicious intent ;D ;D :farmer:

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 10:46:05 am »
would a narrow entrance with high stone walls not be a traffic hazard. if you were to say it was to improve safty you could make a good case. if its onto a public road don't you need the roads/planning peoples consent to alter access points.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2010, 03:13:53 pm »
Hi Rob

cant believe I missed this thread.

I am in IT too and recently moved to get out of it all - not quite out of it yet as its paying for everything - but nearly!!

We had some real issues with our access lane, had to tow out countless people over the winter as there is no turning at the end of the council road and everyone comes down our drive looking for one.

We had to drive to collect everything in the mail as delivery drivers are the worst at trying to drive on anything except tarmac as their throttle only has two positions - either full on or off!

As far as I know you do need planning but its easier to get it to move a wall than a hedge.  We bought a mini digger - but soon found that it was a job for a professional with the right equipment.

I thought long and hard about applying for permission - but as its an open forum the less I say the better ;)  I have also got planning permission for something else on the go and its taken 8 months with no word so far so I was not really prepared to be spending next year doing the same amount of towing.

The wall still exists in some sense of the word but its a horizontal one now - lol

I can see why such things have protection - but I am sure that protection was designed to protect boundaries in their totality rather than blocking people from using modern essential vehicles and having safe access.  However sometimes the planning departments have to be seen to take control to justify their own existence.

If anything comes a cropper with me I have plenty to justify my actions, one previous owner has already died in this house due to a fire/smoke.  I dont want to be in a position where I have to tow a fire engine down our track if heaven forbid it ever happens again.  I am also in charge of hundred of other hedges which wont be destroyed and have planted over £1000 worth of bushes in other hedges and rebuilt walls across our farm after them being knocked down by free range sheep owned by the previous owner.

Personally speaking - I would knock it down and deal with it after.  Its not like your looking to destroy it completely.

Ta

Baz

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS