Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dogs eating chickens  (Read 2849 times)

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
Dogs eating chickens
« on: February 28, 2010, 08:55:49 pm »
... or not!

We keep a relatively small amount of chickens which our dogs see, but don't play with as they are in an enclosure.  However when a dead one is offered to them for dinner they turn their noses up!  However, they are only too pleased to eat cheap chickens from Tescos. 

Anyone else had similar problems, or any idea why?!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Dogs eating chickens
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 09:07:44 pm »
Depends what kind of dogs they are. Do they retrieve? Why do you offer them a dead chicken?  Mine are all gundogs and will retrieve my ducks, and bring them to hand alive, but ignore the chickens - dead or alive.  However, they would kill me for some cooked chicken! ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 11:02:34 am »
Offered it dead as I thought it was slightly kinder than letting the dogs kill it!!

Seriously, though, they have eaten raw for a long time, just wondered if any one else had similar experience especially since one of my justifications for hatching eggs was that the dogs would eat the unwanted cockerals!!  Seems they won't and I'm just wondering why, given, as I've said before, they have no problems with Tescos chickens.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 11:12:24 am »
OK I can understand that now.  Do you pluck them first?  Tesco ones come ready plucked don't they? ;) ;D ;D ;D  Perhaps they don't like thejavascript:void(0); feathers ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS