Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do I keep going or do I call it a day?  (Read 10648 times)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Do I keep going or do I call it a day?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 12:15:21 pm »
Some good points above. What are your options?

Sell all
Sell some
Sell none and carry on as you are
Invest in things to make life easier (dog, handling kit, cctv... etc)
Share farm?? Sell half to someone else, split costs and what not

Ummmmmm. I'm out.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 12:18:20 pm »
Next question... what do you like about your own sheep?  Is it the sheep?  Having your own flock under your own control?  What?

Depending on the answer to that, there may be other options to consider ;) 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 12:22:56 pm »
And if you are about to do some soul-searching, it might be a good time to do this test Johannes Schneider Color Oracle.  I did it for a bit of fun, and you have no idea what soul-searching it has prompted! 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 12:30:48 pm »
Haha hilarious! I wonder if everyone picks the same?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 02:14:24 pm »
Haha hilarious! I wonder if everyone picks the same?

So what did you get?  I'm a control freak  :-J

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 02:20:16 pm »
I've done this, or a very similar, test before about 40 years ago. At that time it was pieces of coloured paper and a very large explanatory book. The previous test was, I thought, spot on. This one was mainly correct with some notable wild inaccuracies- fear of failure was one! It did say I was striving for inner peace and was frustrated by not being allowed to achieve it, which is correct and probably applies to everyone.

As Sally says though, it is a bit of fun and does prompt some thought.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2015, 03:51:01 pm »
Sally, I didn't explain very well. Things like lambing I book months in advance. Shearing is done a month in advance penciled in with my boss in case of bad weatherr the same with all routine work.

I get up early enough in the mornings to deal with any problems such as lame etc so welfare wise I don't think they suffer.

I love my sheep, I see them as pets that make me money and bring me happiness most of the time. This morning I was having a meltdown lol.

Life would be easier with a handling system. So I can do it on my own quickly and easily. But round ups can be difficult on my own at the moment and sadly a dog is off the cards.

I will have a look to see if anyone locally can do the afternoon check a couple times a week but I will definitely have a long hard think while I'm away. Soul search.

I just don't know how I would cope without them in my life.

I will read through all the comments tonight but thank you everyone for your input :)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2015, 05:07:41 pm »
Oh I'd love a nice handling system too. But this year some posts have been put in the ground against a post n rail fencing and so now we have a race.   Up til this I /we would catch each sheep in a pen and cup them under the chin to dose.  The thought of doing big routine was like a huge cloud hanging over my head, a mountain to climb, and back breakng.I would take hours and hours getting them dosed.   But now having at least a length of solid race,it's so so much easier, line em up n away you go.  A few days ago the race was extended, couple more posts n rails. 

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2015, 05:09:44 pm »
Also we don't have a dog, ours are bucket led and very good at it too, bit too good sometimes  :innocent:  So perhaps you could get them to come to bucket.  Even our old birds are converts.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2015, 05:17:21 pm »
Some good points above. What are your options?

Sell all
Sell some
Sell none and carry on as you are
Invest in things to make life easier (dog, handling kit, cctv... etc)
Share farm?? Sell half to someone else, split costs and what not

Ummmmmm. I'm out.
Not sell half! how about renting half, that way you keep the land and get money too. :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2015, 05:24:55 pm »
Hi
as i was reading the opening post I was thinking 'reduce numbers', I still think thats the way to go, it may not seem like numbers is an issue, but I'll bet just reducing to half will lift a lot of stress. Maybe in time let them increase a little again, seeing how you feel.
Getting someone to look over them a few times a week may also just give you that few days 'half break' and breathing space.
I think we are all the same, could manage with less, but couldn't live without them, (well admittedly mainly goats in my place), but I understand how you feel, not enough hours in the day (or maybe too many?  ??? ).
My sheep come to the bucket as well, but I have to catch them to take to a friends for shearing, that will be interesting!
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2015, 06:59:59 pm »

Unfortunately going part time isn't an option either as myself and my partner work on the same farm and live on site so I doubt it would go down very well with the boss.  it's 7 days a week and 12-14 hours a day sometimes more

I'm going away next week on my own so I can do some thinking then and write pros and cons out.

Everyone else seems to have covered the sheep options.  I however would like to focus on the above ... is this not at least part of the problem?  Why are you working 7 days a week?  Everyone is legally entitled to one day a week off... and more if working those hours .... I think as part of your ponderings ... think over the 'whole' picture.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2015, 09:22:29 pm »
I've been having a few times like this recently, when it's all got overwhelming.

I'm trying to get systems in place to make things easier to manage on my own and to ask for help when I need to.

Why did you get sheep to start with?
Are they still fulfilling that.

Was there a point in the last three years when it felt right, when work / the rest of your life felt in balance?
Is it possible to get back to that point.

It sounds like you need some regular time to just be.

Now if I could follow my own suggestions I'd be fine. ::)

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2015, 09:38:23 pm »
Find a friend with a good dog. . . . . it'll take the hassle out of it!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2015, 12:39:36 pm »
What about an Atv to round up the sheep fast and easy? You can buy aborder collie fully trained for 1500 ££s on preloved
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/113200283/working-sheepdog-for-sale.html
This one is £800 fully working.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS