Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lame broody  (Read 2139 times)

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
Lame broody
« on: June 23, 2015, 08:27:24 am »
I have a broody hen that is limping badly ever since her chicks hatched. She doesn't seem to be able to put any weight on her left foot, holding it up a lot and hobbling about. At first I thought it may be just stiffness after sitting on eggs for that long and it initially got better as she started moving around more with the chicks but has deteriorated in the last couple of days. I have checked her foot/leg carefully several times but can't find anything obvious, no swelling or heat and no injury. Have been trying her on anti inflammatory home remedies to not much effect. Can't think of what else to do for her.

Any ideas?
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Lame broody
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 11:17:21 am »
Its very important that broodies get up every day to stretch LadyK, otherwise permanent disability can result. You may need Metacam from the vet for her to see if that reduces any internal swelling. It could however be that she has cut off the blood circulation to part of her leg though?

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 12:02:27 pm »
She was getting up on her own during the sitting - I didn't see her out everyday but most days so I didn't think I should disturb her any more by taking her out of the nest more often. Was that a mistake?
If the blood circulation to the leg was a problem would that show as a cold leg/foot?
Will talk to the vet about metacam.

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 07:36:16 pm »
I had a broody game hen hatch chicks last year and she did the same, went lame hardly able to walk and l could see no obvious sign of trouble or swelling with her leg.  She rested the leg and looked after her chicks by sitting down and scratching with her beak and l made sure they had food and treats. Lucky last year was a warm summer.  Excellent mum, chicks thrived, hobbled into the hut in the evenings for lock up.  She recovered after a few weeks and has had no problems since. Still unsure what caused the problem. She is now about 5 years old, gone broody but no signs so far of leg trouble.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 08:28:52 pm »
Thanks MM, it's good to know that at least sometimes it can be 'one of those things' that a hen can recover from.  :fc:
She certainly is a good mum, looking after the chicks well in her hobbling about way. She does take them about a small distance around the coop and she does scratch a bit too and the chicks are thriving.

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 11:51:56 pm »
This might not be that helpful, but our Cockerel Michael is permanently lame after an incident - we 'rescued' him as we were in the market for a cockerel. He's a splendid Sussex, but can hardly put any weight on one of his legs. I umm and aah daily about whether to do the decent thing, but he is in rude health, displays all normal behaviour, free ranging much of the time and looks after his ladies very well. And he's a gentleman. I have no idea if he's in pain or not. Now he's a dad!
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS