Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ok to miss a year breeding  (Read 3045 times)

littleacorn

• Joined Jan 2011
ok to miss a year breeding
« on: June 22, 2015, 02:35:11 pm »
I am buying a 2010 ewe with 2 ewe lambs at foot.  The lambs were born 2nd May this year.  They are additions to my small flock along with some shearlings.  I want to put my ram in with the ewes/shearlings mid August to have early lambs but his would mean that the ewe lambs are approximately 15 weeks old.  Whilst the lambs could be weaned the ewe will have had no time to recover prior to tupping.  So I am wondering if it would be better to keep her with her lambs away from the tup until next year?  My second worry is that I have one ewe lamb of my own who will join the new ewe lambs away from the ram but I am worried she will not fit in as easily with the mum around.  Any ideas?  Thanks  :eyelashes:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: ok to miss a year breeding
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 02:54:02 pm »
Leaving ewes untupped can cause issues with them becoming overfat, getting stuck on their backs, being too fat to conceive next year, etc.

If you have some poorish ground she can run on, or if all your ground is poorish and you can keep her out of any caking you might be doing of the other sheep, then maybe you would manage.

Personally, however, assuming she's in reasonable condition now, I'd spean her lambs either before or as she goes with the tup. 

If you flush your ewes as they go to the tup, then you need her dried off before that.  So you would need to spean sooner, put her on poor ground for a few days to dry up, then join the other ewes as the tup joins them.

If you don't flush, I'd just spean as you put her with the tup. 

If she's in poor condition, and you can't get her into good condition in time, then maybe consider leaving her with the ewe lambs - but be prepared to move her to another group if she gains too much condition ;).  And plan on getting her clipped early next year, if you can - she'll be ready sooner, having had a year off, and be more likely to get stuck on her back, having a full fleece and a lot of condition.

One other factor is when she will come a-tupping.  She may not cycle straight away; if she lambed in May she may not come a-tupping until October or November, even!  If you run a tight tupping - take the tup out after 35 days, even sooner - then you may find she's geld in any case ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 04:12:26 pm »
I have had ewes "taking a year off" with no problems at all, but they would not be flushed in the following summer/autumn before going back to the tup. Depends a bit on the breed and your feeding regime.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 05:41:27 pm »
Couple a years ago we kept them all empty, think we were a bit freaked out about schmallenberg at the time... 

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 06:50:53 pm »
We've taken this year off in am attempt to clean up our land which had got very sheep sick and spent all last year battling cocci. Currently got a lovely crop of hay on the way and instead of the usual skin and bones with am udder have a bunch of very bonny looking sheep. We're hoping we don't regret it but had no option after last year. Certainly won't need flushing. Time will tell

crofterswife

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 08:28:03 pm »
A few years ago when you could barely give lambs away we gave our ewes a year of and had no problems at all.
We are on hill ground though.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 11:37:58 am »
I think breed is a key factor.  It's often hard to keep condition off Down sheep, however poor the grazing.  A fat Beulah, however, would have a serious problem if it was above CS 3.

littleacorn

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 11:50:57 pm »
Thanks so much for your replies.  The sheep are Oxford Down so I think I may wean at 13 weeks which will give the ewe a couple of weeks before the ram goes in and then the 3 ewe lambs can be kept separate.   ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS