Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats and Sheep (2)  (Read 1722 times)

Christian

• Joined Jun 2012
Goats and Sheep (2)
« on: June 21, 2015, 11:13:57 am »
Hello,
Here's a quick follow-up question to Caz2015 - I am about to take over a pasture from my neighbor, who is using it for his sheep and prepare the pasture and the shelter for our new Boer Billy (yet to be purchased). Given your plenty warnings about worms - is there a good way of sanitizing a pasture (can't do pigs and sunshine seems to be out of question this summer in the Borders...) .

Cheers

Christian

Nikki & Christian
Desperate Smallholders, Tweedsmuir, Scotland

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
Re: Goats and Sheep (2)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 12:27:10 pm »
Hi !! Others may know of a way to sanitise the field but I have never come across one. My best advise would be Feacal egg count on arrival and check regularly until you can see if there's a problem on the pasture or not. A lot may depend on how vigilant the present farmer is and how long he has had sheep using it without resting it !! Sorry can't help more but I'm sure other will.  :thinking:

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 12:52:33 pm »
Not much you can do quickly I don't think.

Rest the field, take a cut of hay, a hot, dry spell, a cold frosty spell.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 06:19:50 pm »
I would eave it either empty of sheep/goats for at least 6 months and/or if possible get some cattle onto it. It's the only way. Especially if it had lambs on it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS