Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pour on Guns  (Read 5618 times)

bakerosc

• Joined Jun 2015
Pour on Guns
« on: June 21, 2015, 08:02:57 am »
Hello everyone- Just wondering if any of you could help me.  I have just bought Crovect for prevention of blow fly's and so forth.  Just looking around for some pour on guns now...  Can i use a Clik pour on gun for applying Crovect?  Clik guns appear to be cheaper online...  Also im treating 2 Shetland sheep that are 5 months old, what is the ideal ml of dosage i should give them?  Sorry for all the questions but am quite new to sheep keeping and is the first time treating them for anything. 

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Pour on Guns
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 10:50:02 am »
This one is ideal:
http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/crovect-pour-on-gun-20ml

It comes with the three different nozzles that you will need for the different types of treatment - strike prevention, lice, ticks, headfly, strike treatment..  I'm not sure if the clik one has all the nozzles as I think Clik is just done with a fan spray.

As for dosage - read the label!!!  Always read the label of anything that you give your sheep.  The minimum lamb weight for Crovect is 12.5kg.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 12:02:17 pm »
Crovect has flat rake style one.   Clik is small round head with small jet.  You could pull crovect through a clik gun, but not the other way round.  Clik and clikzen thicker than crovect.

Also if you leave crovect in any gun it will destroy it.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 12:30:29 pm »
 Yes crovect is very hard on any gun not designed for it and the pipe is rubber type not plastic  to stop it cracking , also wash your waterproof trousers if any contact as crovect eats them as well  .    If you have a set of bathroom scales you will get a rough guide to your lambs weight and then crovect has a wide weight range  (  I'm guessing  your lambs less than 25kg so 20 ml crovect  )     when you  apply crovect for blowfly you have to understand it doesn't move from the wool it lands on  , so  set the gun  at  maybe 3ml and apply in 7 different areas over lapping  over  the back  / bum  to cover as much of the sheep as you can (instructions on the container  )  :sheep:

bakerosc

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 03:08:02 pm »
Thanks for your advice all....Really helpful.  Have now bought the crovect pour on gun...  Next challenge is to catch the sheep!! ;D

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 08:41:40 pm »
My Shetlands weigh less than 25kg at 5 months so the Crovect dose is 20ml.  This will also sort out ticks ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 10:42:17 pm »
Question.  Since the applicator and point of application differs when using Crovect for ticks and using it for Blowfly prevention, do you have to apply it twice, once each way, to get prevention for ticks and also for strike?  And if so, how long between the two treatments?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 07:31:51 pm »
Interesting question ,you could try asking the technical helpline  at Novartis , I tried asking why when you pour it in  a line down the spine it spreads all over the body via the lanolin and yet when you  spray it  for blowfly it only protects where it touches , 3 different people couldn't give me an answer ??    clik and clikzin with fleecebind is easy to get  information .      I use spot-on for ticks  and I'm told many use crovect ,then apply clik on top for blowflys , seems to work ok 

bakerosc

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 04:12:41 pm »
One other question... My Shetlands are coming up for worming soon...  Which I may be attempting for the first time....Any hints and useful tips for me?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 05:49:18 pm »
Think about not doing it at all if they are ok. Look into FECs/SCOPS etc etc. You would no doubt get a great deal of information by taking a sample of shite to your vet for them to egg count and would be much more in the know parasite wise as a result.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS