Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pig arcs  (Read 4498 times)

charlie

• Joined Feb 2010
pig arcs
« on: February 27, 2010, 09:58:25 pm »
do pig arcs need flooring. Or can i get away with a good bit of straw on the ground in side :pig:

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
Re: pig arcs
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 01:47:07 am »
I put down pallets,a layer of plastic sheet, covered with sheets of ply, or off cuts of 'tongue and groove' wooden flooring (We have a good supply of these for our arcs). Build up the ground around the bottom of the pallet to stop wind blowing under it. Then I scatter plenty of straw, so that they can make their nest, and still have enough to scatter a bit outside. If you don't they'll most likely spend the winter lying in wet bedding..not a pleasant thought.
You can save yourself a lot of money in bedding if you use my method. When we started we had no flooring and spent a more than ideal amount of money on straw. We had to, otherwise the poor creatures would have been miserable

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 08:43:14 am »
Totally opposite here, we started with floors in the arcs and then took them out.  We start with a good thick layer of straw which we top up regularly.  We find the straw deteriorates due to the pigs going in and out of the arc, the piglets use far more than the larger sows. 

I think its a case of whichever you prefer to start with then see how you go. 

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 05:00:49 pm »
Both have their merits and drawbacks,

Thanks

Gareth
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 06:48:17 pm »
Nice arcs on your site!

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 06:56:53 pm »
Nice arcs on your site!

Thankyou - Made by a commercial pig housing manufacturer in the UK.

Gareth
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 08:55:29 pm »
Depends on your soil, site, wind/rain direction etc etc. We have heavy clay and therefore our homebuilt arks have strong flooring. Need less straw for bedding and warm/dry. We still dont keep pigs through the winter though, would need concrete area for that.... You should see the mud on the holding a the moment!

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 05:20:38 pm »
the mud is horrendous here too. I'm having to put fresh straw in every other day for the fatteners. the sows dont make nearly so much mess. i'm trying to find someone to make me some skids for the arks as they really need fresh ground, they'll be slaughtered in a month but if the rain keeps coming they'll be swimming at this rate!

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 05:48:53 pm »
You should see where i am. Mine have their own little lake at the moment along with ankle breaking mud. Thankfully they have enough room to avoid the lake and love the mud. Roll on spring though. Oh and I have heavy soil so flooring was a must for mine.

HeronsReach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 10:11:51 pm »
I took my floors out as they kept crapping in a corner

I just put a bag of fresh straw in every weekend

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS