Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: egg vanishing  (Read 4540 times)

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
egg vanishing
« on: June 20, 2015, 06:19:11 pm »
I have a puzzle that you may help me work out. I have a broody sitting on 5 eggs, she is in a hut by herself doors closed and she is let out daily for a dust bath and a run etc. then goes back in door closed and back on the eggs.  A few days ago an egg vanished so down to 4 eggs, now today another egg has gone, down to 3 eggs. I cant work out where they have gone, no rats, not crows and no other hens have access.  No sign of egg shells or mess from a broken egg.  Any ideas anyone?  The only thing l can think of is she is eating them herself which seems strange as she is sitting well and seems happy with her lot. Is this possible?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: egg vanishing
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 06:32:06 pm »
Are you 100% it's not rats as that was my first thought...

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 06:36:55 pm »
Magpies will fit through a hole you'd have trouble sticking your middle finger through and rarely are coops that secure !!!

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 07:07:50 pm »
We did think rats at first but the hut is on concrete and the only way in is through the roof, cant see them hauling an egg up that high.  Magpies may get in but the roof holes have net across and not disturbed by anything rats or birds. They are too busy stealing the duck eggs which are easy targets. No debris to be seen either which is confusing me.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 08:17:52 pm »
Rats. Did you not see my post about my dogs showing me where our rats were? They kept going in  the shed with me and pointing at the ceiling - rats were running along the beams  >:(  They had got in a teensy space in the eaves.  And yes they could carry them but they may well just eat them there and then and don't leave evidence
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 08:31:32 pm »
Would not rats come and clear all the eggs though because she has been sitting for 2 weeks and they have only had 2.  I would have thought they knew where the eggs are and would come for them all.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 08:47:56 pm »
Don't really know why, but they don't clear all of mine every day. And I'm sure they're still there.  I don't put down rat poison a I have a cat, and occasionally Rio provides the Karma for losing a  few eggs  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 08:59:30 pm »
I shall keep a look out and if one more goes l will have to take the remaining 2 and put them under my other broody, if it is rats they will probably go for the chicks when they hatch.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 09:35:28 pm »
Rats wil chew through pretty well anything to get to food, and fit through a 2.5cm square.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 09:52:37 pm »
Rats wil chew through pretty well anything to get to food, and fit through a 2.5cm square.
Yup, that's how i lost my quail. Weldmesh dog runs, they removed all but one that was a bit bigger than the rest and left it's half eaten body behind.  An older one wasn't touched, just too big for them.

I hate rats and I hate foxes.  >:( >:( >:(

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 09:55:47 pm »
so far not lost new chicks to rats but always a first time, also hate rats and foxes, cant think of a good reason for them to exist.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 10:01:37 pm »
We had the exact same situation, and it was definitely a broody who ate 2 of her eggs.

She didn't think of eating for the three weeks she was sitting, even when she was taken out of the nest box and placed next to the food she would run straight back to the nest box. I tried feeding her bits of scrambled eggs and other titbits every day, she was down to 2 eggs from 4 when they hatched. But once they hatched she ate just like normal again. I feared she would eat her chicks!

If you haven't seen her eat, try feeding her scrambled eggs or so.

Plenty of eggs being laid in much more accessible places which were never touched at any time before or since, plus the camera would have picked up on any rats. Definitely the broody.

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 10:58:52 pm »
She is eating well eve, and she has treats as well, l may have to go in more and give her more attention and hope no more go missing. She is a first time broody but l may not use her again. Hope its not rats. I have another broody near the neighbours and they have rats but we have never had eggs taken from this hut and it has been used for years.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 10:10:59 am »
I just top up brodies with layers pellets and water and leave them well alone.  Their metabolism slows while they're on the nest and I prefer not to risk upsetting them.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 01:32:37 pm »
Magpies will fit through a hole you'd have trouble sticking your middle finger through and rarely are coops that secure !!!

Magpies?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS