Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what about boars ?  (Read 3349 times)

MR C CHICKS

• Joined Nov 2009
what about boars ?
« on: February 27, 2010, 07:43:30 pm »
Can someone offer some advise please . We are close to getting our first pigs and have been offered 3 castrated boars  at 8 weeks old. . As we are only keeping them for meat is there any problem with keeping boars instead of gilts. Are they likely to fight? Will there be any difference in the end product? cheers for any advise!

Re: what about boars ?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 07:48:17 pm »
Hi,

No Problem as far as I can see, castrated or not they should not fight (too much) if there are no females about, although they will establish the "pecking order".

End product will be the same.

Good Luck

Gareth
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 09:00:52 pm »
Hi,
I'd second what Gareth says - I believe boars are less inclined to have as much fat as gilts too (but only ever having had gilts, I don't know for certain)
Are they brothers ? According to hubby (who's had commercial pig farm experience) brothers won't fight with each other.
The other plus with castrated boars is that you won't be tempted to hang onto them ;) the way you might with a gilt (ex. for breeding)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 09:12:48 pm »
Our first two weaners were two entire GOS boys. They were fine (and I had insisted on boys, so that I definitely wouldnt be able to hang on to them), no fighting (they were litter mates) and in comparison to the girls I had the last two years were a lot more relaxed....

They came out every morning when  I let the hens out (next to their pen), had their morning constitiutional and went straight back to sleep until breakfast time. Without fail every morning!

Have fun!

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 10:40:03 pm »
No problem with castrated pigs...but be aware that they do tend to put on fat...control their food and keep them active and you'll have no problems though...good luck...oh and if you intend killing them out, remember that the last one will pine when he is on his own, so make a fuss of him until the day comes (or better still get some more pigs).

Farmer,  :farmer:

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 12:37:54 am »
Castrated or not they wont fight before slaughter age assuming you take them by 6 months! I've got uncastrated boars now, they are 24 weeks old and are more than happy together!!

MR C CHICKS

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 08:06:43 pm »
 Many thanks for the advise everyone. Have bought the boars and they arrive at the weekend. cheers .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS