Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: RHS  (Read 5852 times)

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
RHS
« on: June 18, 2015, 06:30:50 pm »
Anyone going to the royal highland show this weekend.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: RHS
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 06:43:32 pm »
Was there today - very busy, lots of school groups.  £25 to get in; £8 car park. Very expensive but a few bargains - and some really good 'goody bags'.  Hall's - haggis, pork sausages, lorne sausage and black pudding for £5

Lots of big boys toys to see, and craft and food courts good too.  We went round the food hall sampling lots of stuff, eventually had a haggis roll(£2.50) at 2.30;  then an ice cream (£2)

There was a cold wind but very warm in the halls so wear layers.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 07:04:57 pm »
Mr Fleecewife is going tomorrow to watch the Heb judging at 0900 (we have no entries this year), then see if he can find the RBST tent, which is to be very upmarket this year apparently.
He's forgotten to see if anyone needs a 'stockman', so will have to pay the full whack, but will go by bike so not so expensive to park - just has to carry his helmet round all day.
I can't take the crowds any more so will have a lovely day to myself working in my veggie patch  :garden:  8)
Same with Woolfest - way too crowded  :knit:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 08:12:13 pm »
I was there on the RBST stand. Different layout this year - half livestock / half dance floor. In the same place a s usual though in the countryside area near the bridge. The Goat tent has been moved next to RBST and the poultry tent moved round.

Didn't have much time to see the show. It was baltic - really cold wind.

Then I couldn't remember where I'd left the car at home time.

Completely cream crackered now.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 10:53:33 pm »
I am showing poultry and helping in the RBST stand for a few hours on Sat & Sun. Looking forward to seeing old friend's and meeting some new. If your about pop in and say hello.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 02:11:32 pm »
Mr F managed 3 hours before he decided to come home - an expensive 3 hours. He had a great time gossiping, and bumped into a TAS member or two  :wave:.  He didn't get to the RBST tent as it was impossibly far away through the press of folk, and he too was cream crackered by then.

So now we will have time to change the dressing on Cadfael's horribly broken side horn  :sheep:.  Definitely a 2 man job.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 04:50:27 pm by Fleecewife »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 04:53:04 pm »
Jack Cuthbert won the Hebridean Championship  :trophy:  Well done  :thumbsup:

And Claire of Brucklay flock has made it to page 3 of the Glasgow Herald, showing her Shetlands.

Anyone know how everyone else did?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 11:19:30 pm by Fleecewife »

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 08:11:54 pm »
Thanks FW we got champion eggs and best utility in the poultry aswell today as the champion Heb so been a cracking show - interbreed championship was an experience but hard to compete against the fantastic commercial sheep I suspect interbreed pairs tomorrow will be just as difficult

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 10:07:46 pm »
Big chicken won best humming bird egg  :roflanim:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 11:18:24 pm »
Thanks FW we got champion eggs and best utility in the poultry aswell today as the champion Heb so been a cracking show - interbreed championship was an experience but hard to compete against the fantastic commercial sheep I suspect interbreed pairs tomorrow will be just as difficult

I don't think Hebs stand the slightest chance against commercial sheep.  Watch the judge's eye - he will skim across the Hebs and other small breeds as if they're not there.  Hebs have qualities which don't include producing masses of meat - quality not quantity  ;D

What a great day you had Big Light.  Makes me wish I'd gone to the show after all. You clearly know your sheep  :thumbsup:  Several of 'the usual winners' were there, but you triumphed  :trophy:

What does the Champion Eggs class involve?  How do you know your eggs are the best, before they are opened?  We've never entered that class, even locally, as we sometimes get blemishes or even bloodspots inside. 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 11:21:16 pm by Fleecewife »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 11:42:15 am »
I don't think Hebs stand the slightest chance against commercial sheep.  Watch the judge's eye - he will skim across the Hebs and other small breeds as if they're not there.  Hebs have qualities which don't include producing masses of meat - quality not quantity
This happens at dog shows too.  Brittanys are a working breed, not showy like Irish Setters, Afghan hounds, perky little terriers etc - so I well recognise the 'passover' :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 12:59:35 pm »
This happens at dog shows too.  Brittanys are a working breed, not showy like Irish Setters, Afghan hounds, perky little terriers etc - so I well recognise the 'passover' :innocent:

I also recognise the "passover" when we show our Shetland cattle.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 08:39:45 pm »
Well done Big Light  :thumbsup:  That's great results.
I never went this year - did think about it today - but stayed at home instead.
Other half was there on Thursday with her friend watching the clydey judging.

With regards to breeds being over looked - sadly it will always happen.  However, if shows, national and local, did more native breed class they might stand more of a chance. 
I long for the Longhorn classes to return to the RHS but I fear the numbers wouldn't be there.  There was Longhorn classes back in 2004 (I think it was) - wow they looked great.

Its always good to see native classes too.  The Beef shorthorn had the largest entry at the RHS this year.  Natives are clawing their way back slowly but surely.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 11:51:06 am »
Well pretty drained been a long week hens home last night and sheep picked up this morning how ever still smiling

To give the judges their dues in the interbreed and interbreed pairs competition both judges came and put hands on and asked questions and actually came back for other looks aswell as the first glance - I have seen what others have described before but it was a fair fight this weekend . I guess when your standing as one of the best 24  sheep in the country theres no losers
Fw as for champion eggs its external only at rhs due to having cracked eggs on a plate for 2 days in the sun a health hazard let alone a little stinky we do both and won internal external at peebles in february really looking for nice smooth identical eggs with even colour and pattern and clean and free from blemishes ideally matching in size weight and shape
Cg thanks for the good wishes
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 02:45:48 pm by Big Light »

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 02:50:15 pm »
It was nice to see the Hebbies even managed short clip on landward with the shearling tup judging - our olive green eggs also were on the set of landward when they were doing the poultry bit 2 - equity cards in the post

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS