Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Quarantining a single ram  (Read 2502 times)

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
Quarantining a single ram
« on: June 17, 2015, 01:15:29 pm »
For those that borrow or buy in sine rams, what arrangements do you make for quarantining, if any?

I'm assuming the purpose is to spot illness before contaminating your flock and get rid of some worms before they run all over your fields.

Do people keep them on their own and if so, how long for? Just trying to assess the practicalities of this for smallholders and wondered what people's experiences were.
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
Re: Quarantining a single ram
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 01:27:38 pm »
I bought my ram in October (as a tup lamb).  I visited him about two months before that and saw him and the rest of his breeder's flock, and then saw them all again when I collected him in October, so that gave me some assurance that he was coming from a healthy flock.  I brought him home and put him by himself in the hard surface pen + shed that is very close to the house, and wormed him, and kept him in there for a week.  He got attention whenever I went outside, and he could smell and hear the other sheep not far away.  After a week I put him in a paddock with just my own two ram lambs, where he stayed for about three weeks until tupping time.  Not sure that was optimal but it was what was practical for my circumstances.
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 02:59:51 pm »
I keep a wether as a companion for my ram (for when he's separated from the ewes at lambing time), so I just stick said wether in quarantine with any newly bought in rams.  If the ram has anything contagious then I would just treat both of them for it.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 03:20:44 pm »
I'm the same as Foobar. I quarantined Taylor for 21 days with the wether, in the byre. They were fine. Both were wormed and fluked - if Taylor had turned out to have anything nasty, I'm afraid it would have been curtains for Teddy.

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 04:07:58 pm »
Thanks all. All my wethers (lambs) will hopefully be gone by the time I get a ram in. What's the thinking behind how long to quarantine for?
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 05:18:40 pm »
I figured if the animal movement standstill is 6 days, then keeping him alone for a week was in line with that.  And then three weeks with just the other two boys seemed like a good additional safety period and fit with my tupping schedule anyway.
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 07:53:01 pm »
I figured if the animal movement standstill is 6 days,

It's 13 days in Scotland, so FMD must change at the border  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS