Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: eye infection in lamb  (Read 4658 times)

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
eye infection in lamb
« on: June 17, 2015, 08:17:16 am »
I have a cade lamb who has an eye infection but I can't seem to find any information about treating it. There seems to be lots online about pink eye but I don't think this is the same. Its just the one lamb so far, the eye lids are pink and look sore but the eye is clear. There is discharge coming from the eye. The eye lids do not look inverted so I don't think it is the eye lids being turned in.

I will be ringing the vet later but as we are on an island they cannot come out to see us straight away so does anyone have any suggestions for how to initially treat the eye? would eye drops for people relieve some of the symptoms? The lamb is 5 weeks old btw.  :sheep:

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
Re: eye infection in lamb
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 08:42:15 am »
Sorry no idea about the cause but I do know that when my cat got a serious eye injury he was prescribed human eye drops. On the bottle was a label with my cat's name on and instructions to him not to drive or operate complex machinery while using the meds!!
Is it time to retire yet?

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 10:47:04 am »
Speak to vet x

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 10:56:37 am »
I wouldn't risk human ointments, personally.

While waiting for the vet to come, if you have another sheep-keeper, or a dairy farmer nearby that you can ask, you could try to get some Orbenin cream.  It will soothe and may heal, depending on the cause of the infection.  (It's used for eye infections in sheep, cattle, horses, dogs and cats, and also for mastitis in cattle - hence why a dairy farmer may be able to help ;))

Otherwise, bathing in cooled boiled water will probably provide some relief.

And of course, if you can take and post a pic, there may be other ideas from the folks on here ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 01:58:17 pm »
thanks everyone! There are plenty of local farms, i'll try and see if anyone has some orbenin while we wait for the vet.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 02:00:19 pm »
I have a cade lamb who has an eye infection but I can't seem to find any information about treating it. There seems to be lots online about pink eye but I don't think this is the same. Its just the one lamb so far, the eye lids are pink and look sore but the eye is clear. There is discharge coming from the eye. The eye lids do not look inverted so I don't think it is the eye lids being turned in.

I will be ringing the vet later but as we are on an island they cannot come out to see us straight away so does anyone have any suggestions for how to initially treat the eye? would eye drops for people relieve some of the symptoms? The lamb is 5 weeks old btw.  :sheep:
How about making an infusion of chamomile tea and bathing the eye 3 times daily, it might help soothe it. :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS