Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hi  (Read 2351 times)

ming

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Scotland
hi
« on: February 27, 2010, 01:51:45 pm »
I'm up in the hills in southern Scotland, no livestock cos the husband & I are too old and decrepit now, but recently retired and looking for help/advice/support in starting to grow our own veg and live on a much lower budget. Not a true fanatic about saving the planet but more looking to go back to a more sensible way of living. I hate consumerism. Nice to meet you all  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: hi
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 03:39:19 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Ming.  I'm of a similar mind.  I do my bit on recycling mainly because I hate waste and if something can be used again that's fine by me.  I don't have food animals either but because I wouldn't be able to stop myself giving them names and having a relationship with them, so I eat other people's animals, not my own!  I have ducks and chickens for friends and they repay me with eggs for their board and lodgings, but not their bodies ;D ;D ;D  I also have a very good rat, rabbit, and magpie catching cat, and 5 dogs which I show and work(some of them)  I'm in the Wee County!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 06:34:58 pm »
Hi Ming and welcome.

We're just outside Falkirk, with a little bit of land, and a few animals.

Beth

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 06:59:17 pm »
hello and welcome from Derbyshire... hope we can help!
Little Blue

sandy

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 08:50:44 pm »
Hello, growing what you eat is the common thread on this forum, we hate consumerism too, amazing how we become brainwashed!!!

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 08:56:56 pm »
Hello from Lanarkshire, probably not too far from you.

We also try to live a more sensible way of life, and getting ever closer to retirement are looking to the future with our smallholding, on which we keep sheep & chickens.

Welcome to the forum,

John

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 09:00:13 am »
Hi and welcome!

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 01:19:12 pm »

Hi and welcome from the Scottish Borders (east side). I have animals and hope to grow a bit more fruit and veg, trouble is I am not very good at it (the fruit and veg bit). The sheep managed to eat most of my newly planted apple trees and blackcurrants and the cat has decided that my raised bed is a great litter tray!
Anne

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 01:25:17 pm »
Daisys mum - Last year we planted 6 fruit trees and put protection around them all. Some how the goats have managed to find a way in to a couple of them and ate the bark.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 04:10:22 pm »
Hello, from up in th'Derbyshire hills!!-----

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 06:38:04 am »
Welcome from Brittany, I dont grow anything green, my neighbour says I have black thumbs!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS