Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Quad X Wild cut mower problems  (Read 2184 times)

Tamsjute

• Joined Jun 2015
Quad X Wild cut mower problems
« on: June 16, 2015, 12:14:41 pm »
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place - but wondered if anyone knows of a quad X dealer in the central Scotland area?
We have had the bolt which holds the blades on to the machine shear off - I understand this is a mechanism to protect the blades if a rock is hit - we have had a new bolt sent through from Ireland, but hubby is unable to get the old one off, so may need to take it somewhere for some help!

Having taken on a farm full of rushes due to the neglect of the past owners, we have a lot of work for it still to do this summer.

Any ideas???  ???

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Quad X Wild cut mower problems
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 05:30:44 pm »
Perhaps a pic of the specific issue you have and where this shear bolt is positioned.
I have shear bolts on my PTO shafts but never had trouble gettinga  broken one out.
Likely issues might be that the original pin was in there for ages ad there's some corrosion helping hold it in or where it broke it lipped over the edge of the hole it goes through.
usual solutions would be lots of wd40 and then a drift (chisel or slightly smaller bolt) and a decent blow with a hammer to drive the broken bit out.
On the other hand if you have the thing in an inaccessible position then there is a chance (depending on design) that you have to align the holes by manually turning the blades before applying the drift and mallet

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 09:19:21 am »
this firm comes up a lot ...http://www.gordonagri.co.uk

Tamsjute

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 05:38:05 pm »
Troublesome part has now been freed from the machine (both ends) and in a position for hubby to take to work and have it removed by someone with the correct tools in the workshop. What a palava!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 08:32:40 pm »
farmers here have a simple saying... if you can't fix it with a hammer - you need a bigger hammer!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS