Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Yet more unwanted goats .......  (Read 4595 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Yet more unwanted goats .......
« on: February 26, 2010, 10:05:18 pm »
I think I will put a sign on the gate reading Goat Sanctuary.  A lady contacted me earlier this week.  It appears she has never had goats before, and having bought a house with a little land, got 4 goats - 3 nannies and an intact billy.  I think this was late Summer.  Billy goat was castrated by vet (I think he is 3 years old) in the Autumn.  But you can imagine what I am about to say next.  4 weeks ago one of the nannies had a nanny kid.  Owner decided now too many goats, so decided to rehome the castrated billy and one nanny.  This morning she rang to say a  second nanny had surprised them with two nanny kids.  Looks like billy had a last fling before the chop!!  She says the one I am having, is not in kid.  Or lets say she thinks not.......we will see!!

I told her she is very fortunate that all turned out to be nanny kids.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Yet more unwanted goats .......
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 10:08:34 pm »
Roxy you will get your reward in heaven, have you told hubby the good news yet? :)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 10:10:08 pm »
so why doesnt anyone just knock my door and offer me goats!!!!  i've been trying to talk hubby into having them for AGES - that would be a just perfect excuse!!!!

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 10:11:06 pm »
Shame we could do with a milking nanny either with or without kids  :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 10:18:10 pm »
I guess hubby will be insisting on changing your phone number and going ex-directory soon... mine would thats for sure!

Is there any way you can re-home these goats - they must cost you a fortune in feed ect etc, and what about space?

I have to admit that I sometimes get a bit worked up by people buying animals/pets and then having to re-home them as they cant cope/havent read up on whats required beforehand etc etc. especially entire billies! Hope it all works out....

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 10:29:37 pm »
In all honesty I don't quite know where all these goats are coming from!!  I am the only person for miles who keeps goats, and hardly anyone has hens.....which is strange being out in the country.

35 years ago I had my first goat - a very large British Toggenberg called Tanya.  She was with us 16 years.  During that time I got Penny, my first British Alpine.  It went form there, and eventually I had 8 goats, Toggs, Alpines, and a lovely Anglo Nubian nanny.  I was milking three before and after work, which was hectic along with all the other livestock.  By the time the foot and mouth hit, I had three left, one dying of old age while the restrictions were in place.  I was so worried the foot and mouth would take my goats.....espeically when I saw a herd of dairy cows and a flock of pedigree sheep being burnt in the next village, as they were suspect case.  I vowed not to keep any goats after that.

I kept that promise 5 years, until a friend approached me and asked could I take her two Anglo boys, Cain and Abel.  I was quite happy with those two, then last year, my numbers rapidly rose.  We will have 19 when  these two arrive - oh, and Jasmine has yet to kid of course!!!

I have a way to go before I catch a goat sanctuary not far from us, up.  They have 160 goats there!!!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 10:30:35 pm »
I have the utmost respect for you Roxy, but I don't think I could happily just take on more and more animals. At least its a nanny this time who hopefully will be of use- kidding next year maybe?

I have to say some people think we are harsh with our goats as we don't always keep the male kids, but I'd rather that than they get shipped from pillar to post, badly treated, not fed and taken from one market to the next!

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 10:34:57 pm »
I have plenty of land (well I DID, but lots of animals now!).

My husband does not get involved - he is not interested in farming. Having said that, he will help with fencing, and fetching big bales etc.  So long as I am happy to do the work involved, thats fair enough.  We cut our own hay, which helps a lot.  Just bedding and goat feed, but most of the goats are on big bale haylage, and not bothered to eat the feed.  Got worming costs, and mineral blocks to buy of course.

I look at it, that I spend my money on my animals, as I do not go on holiday (who would mind this lot!) don't go out, smoke etc.  Must admit I do enjoy my lager, and a bottle of white wine (note I said bottle and not glass!)  But I reckon I deserve it after seeing to all the menagerie.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 10:40:21 pm »
Talking of which, I could do with a glas of wine just now!

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 10:45:59 pm »
I had better not join you - got to be up at 5am to go into the farms and bring out 3,000 hens......well, got to feed all the livestock before I go of course.  Then return to excited people taking a couple of hens for their garden.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS