Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shearing Charges  (Read 10049 times)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Shearing Charges
« on: June 15, 2015, 03:34:24 pm »
Hello, anyone who has paid for shearing this year or has other insight could you tell me what you were charged in total and what for eg. rams/ewes/longwools etc PM Me if you wish. TIA Me

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Shearing Charges
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 03:51:25 pm »
I had 7 Ryelands done. The shearer hated them as they have wool on their teeth  :roflanim:
There were 4 shearlings, 2 ewes and one tup.
He charges £1.75 per head. I gave him £30 and a 4-pack of cold beer. He's been good to us with our sheep.
I think a minimum charge is reasonable to account for your travelling, setting up etc.
Last year he alos did a stripe around the lambs bottoms and checked everyone's feet too.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 04:09:33 pm »
My team charged £25 set up and £1 per sheep which I thought was reasonable. (Llanwenogs also have wool everywhere!)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 04:21:25 pm »
We had 25 (I think it was 25) shetland ewes sheared last year -- the shearer tried to charge us £20 but we made him take £40.  I don't think he took it seriously as a job compared to the big stuff, just a friendly way to spend an afternoon and handle some unusual (to him) sheep.  Plus he only lives about 3 miles from us. 

If I didn't have the entertaining neighbour discount available, I think I'd be willing to pay up to £3/sheep, for someone I thought was good and who would come to me, plus I agree a minimum charge would be reasonable.

Also, to be honest, I would pay more for a shearer who I knew also just happened to be a veterinarian, because I'd figure that if he saw anything concerning while handling each and every one of my sheep, he'd let me know ;)
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 04:38:57 pm »
£60 for 21 BWMs, incl. two rams.  Very professional job.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 05:01:15 pm »
£65 for 20 Ryelands.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 05:16:14 pm »
The going rate in this part of Wales is £1.00 to £1.30 a head. There may be a small set up/travel costs for very small flocks as well (one guy has £50 minimum charge).

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 05:27:02 pm »
A neighbour, who is also a contract shearer does mine. I only have 6. He asked for £10 last year but it seemed too low to me for his time and effort so I gave him £15. I suspect it will be the same this year. currently waiting for him to do them.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 06:31:46 pm »
We paid 80 pounds for 43 Shetlands, some of which were distinctively wriggley... not a single nick on any of them and good banter thrown in too. Our shearer comes with his own holding pen ( a nifty trailer where the wheels come off) and helps with the ONE sheep that will not come into the enclosure, as he brings his own dog...

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 08:19:37 pm »
£50 for 13 Zwartbles (1 shearling tup, 9 ewes and 3 gimmers - £40 would have probably been acceptable (My shearer won't ever say how much he wants it's 'up to you'.  Think it does him well as the type of client he has are more likely to worry about overpaying than underpaying and are grateful to have someone who is willing to do a small flock).

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 09:55:20 pm »
 :thinking:
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 10:49:39 pm »
 :thinking: ???
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 11:13:59 pm »
We're in Hampshire, were charged £80 for 15 sheep. She's got one of those nifty trailer things too. She's fairly local, very calm and professional so I was happy to pay it (only four were mine).
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 08:26:00 am »
Ok, it seems I'm not too scandalously expensive then :relief:, thanks for all the replies!

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 09:29:27 am »
The biggest problem is not the prices but just finding someone who will do small flocks! (and who is not ridiculously hard to get scheduled in cos they are so busy) :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS