Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatching too early?!  (Read 5058 times)

adorm

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Maidstone, Kent
Hatching too early?!
« on: June 05, 2015, 11:57:25 am »
Hi all,

I am looking for some advice. I've had fertile eggs (6bantam and 3large fowl) under a broody hen for 16 days and 1 has hatched!

No sign of any others and the 1st hatched yesterday afternoon or evening.

Do I leave well alone or move the 1st away so the broody doesn't give up the others?

Thanks!

Adam

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Hatching too early?!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 01:39:38 pm »
That's pretty early, especially if the L/F eggs aren't due for another 5-6 days. The problem is, if you take the chick out now, you may not be able to reintroduce it.

Personally, I would give them another couple of days to hatch naturally, then put any un-hatched eggs in an incubator (borrow one if you have to). Then when the chicks hatch in the incy, let them dry off before putting them under the broody at night.

Others may have better ideas though!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 02:50:42 pm »
I agree with Womble. It is likely the remaining eggs will be abandoned (perhaps tomorrow) when she takes the early chick out to feed and drink. Find an incubator and set it up ready for the remaining eggs.

The common method used over here is to collect sufficient hatching eggs and put them in an incubator. A few days before they hatch a broody is set on dummy eggs. These are then removed one night and the chicks added. This makes rearing effortless, increases the number hatched, avoids risks of abandonment and saves wearing out the hen.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 03:42:14 pm »
We had a broody Dorking sitting on a clutch of eggs for four weeks.  She'd taken a couple of days to settle properly and we think she may have been off the eggs for too long at a vital stage as nothing hatched.  I bought five very young chicks, put them in a box close to the broody coop a couple of times during the afternoon, so she could hear them cheeping and start to bond, then slid one gently under her in the evening.  She promptly turned around and gave it a hefty peck, had some feed, came back and pecked it again!  First time that's happened although we've done it successfully many times in the past.  Chicks are now under an electric broody, hen is ringed and will not be used as a broody agin!

adorm

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Maidstone, Kent
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 09:05:38 pm »
Thanks for the advice!

Unfortunately I've done taken the really rude option and done the opposite.

I can't really get hold of an incubator so I've bought a heat lamp and made a brooder. Fingers crossed she/he will survive until the others hatch.

It's a l/f that's hatched... Odd but that's nature I guess?!

Fingers crossed.... Sorry to ignore your advice. (Maybe a lesson coming up! )

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 07:22:20 am »
You may struggle with one chick on its own Adorm. Usually they get very distressed and desperately need company. People hatching a few eggs and ending up with just one chick usually rush out to a local breeder to buy a second.

adorm

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Maidstone, Kent
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 09:24:21 am »
Good point... I will have a call around. Hoping the others will appear soon and he/she can be snuck back in. Others due on the 10th.

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 10:34:16 am »
Or if you have a ggod hatch under the broody perhaps you could put one or two of those chicks with the single chick.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 02:44:01 pm »
Bantams should hatch at 19 days and LF at 21 so you shouldn't have to wait long.

adorm

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Maidstone, Kent
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 10:32:44 pm »
Thanks for all the help... I've been lurking in the shadows for a year or so... Must introduce myself properly soon!

adorm

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Maidstone, Kent
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 10:56:51 pm »
Things are looking good! I bought another chick to keep the prem one early. They got on well and the first was definitely happier!

The others are nearly all hatched and doing well with the two older ones back under mum... Fingers crossed!

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 11:47:31 am »
Adorm, is mother still looking after the 2 chicks you had in the brooder?
Is it time to retire yet?

adorm

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Maidstone, Kent
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 04:42:47 pm »
well all seem to be doing well! The two i snuck back in were accepted and all seem happy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS