Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Alpaca and TB (and other animals)  (Read 13704 times)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Alpaca and TB (and other animals)
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 06:43:59 pm »
PM is not reliable as a test for Tb as it is crude, a man slices up the animal looking for Tb lesions. If the Tb is not advanced and lesions are small they may be missed. Just because it isn't seen does not mean the animal is clear. Herds on 60 day tests for eg. rarely do they find lesions at PM as reactors are removed every two months - I wonder why they look once Tb has been confirmed in one animal. It just confuses people.

What about the culture test after PM?  Is that more reliable, or hit or miss depending on where they cultured from?

So,

1. I can't tell you off the top of my head how sensitive (likely to find tb if it is there) and specific (how likely it is to tell you tb is there when it is not) the tests are alone and used in tandem
2. I am too lazy to look up the answers and look clever
3. This seems to have some answers but I am not sure as too lazy to read it all through - enjoy! ;)
4. But its just lifted from tinternet so cannot say it is accurate http://www.dardni.gov.uk/afbi-literature-review-tb-review-diagnostic-tests-cattle.pdf

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 06:50:55 pm »
I hope this isn't a pandora's box! I am trying to get this sorted in my head but I don't know where to start so any info please!

I understand that Alpaca can carry TB, and that cattle owners need to test for TB. Do sheep owners? I have a feeling that the skin test in alpaca doesn't work a lot of the time, so is it possible to screen alpaca for TB, and also is there any form of vaccine they can be given?

Is it possible to keep alpaca on the same area as cattle? Not the same fields, but on the same holding? What about sharing fields with sheep? Is there any thing that can be done to minimise the TB risk or does it remain a bit of a gamble?
I think people who milk sheep and make cheese or sell it have to TB test their sheep, I have a friend who had to do this. I never knew they could get TB but apparently they do.  ???
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 08:59:04 pm »
PM is not reliable as a test for Tb as it is crude, a man slices up the animal looking for Tb lesions. If the Tb is not advanced and lesions are small they may be missed. Just because it isn't seen does not mean the animal is clear. Herds on 60 day tests for eg. rarely do they find lesions at PM as reactors are removed every two months - I wonder why they look once Tb has been confirmed in one animal. It just confuses people.

What about the culture test after PM?  Is that more reliable, or hit or miss depending on where they cultured from?

So,

1. I can't tell you off the top of my head how sensitive (likely to find tb if it is there) and specific (how likely it is to tell you tb is there when it is not) the tests are alone and used in tandem
2. I am too lazy to look up the answers and look clever
3. This seems to have some answers but I am not sure as too lazy to read it all through - enjoy! ;)
4. But its just lifted from tinternet so cannot say it is accurate http://www.dardni.gov.uk/afbi-literature-review-tb-review-diagnostic-tests-cattle.pdf

Thanks.  That says the culture test is the gold standard but is highly specific and not very sensitive.  But now I'm wondering what is the definition of "having TB" anyway!  The vaccine research I posted earlier (different thread) considered animals not to have TB if the PM and culture test were negative.  Science, so messy when you look close  :P
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2015, 10:22:16 pm »
Lots of information on Alpaca TB at: www.alpacatb.com

That website is showing 86 herds of camelids in England and Wales tested positive by the end of 2014   :o
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 12:51:10 pm »
The thing with TB is when they test them and it shows positive it could just be a skin reaction, but they cannot take that risk just in case. Also TB develops over a long time period, so they cannot afford to wait and see in case other animals get infected.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Cocker

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2015, 05:52:54 pm »

That website is showing 86 herds of camelids in England and Wales tested positive by the end of 2014   :o

That is since 1999. 7 of those were in 2014.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 12:01:22 am »

That is since 1999. 7 of those were in 2014.

Ah  :idea:  Thanks for the explanation!  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 02:33:27 pm »
Thanks for all the info :)

I've crossed 'paca off the list as friend has just had his first ever TB reactor and so anything that makes this journey possible again is outta here..

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS