Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Faggots  (Read 8854 times)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Faggots
« on: February 26, 2010, 01:48:19 pm »
 My recipe for Good Faggots
11/2 lbs nice fresh trimmed pigs liver ( Don't use frozen thawed its rubbish for this recipe)
2           Large white onions
4 Oz's     Bread crumbs (Brown or white)
4 Oz's       Atora suet or similar
1           Heaped dessert spoon dried sage
1           Teaspoon salt
1           Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 

Method

Mince the liver and the onions into a mixing bowl
Add the remaining ingredients and mix well
Form into balls about the size of a tennis ball
Traditionally they were wrapped in a bit of caul (apron)
Nowadays one puts the ball into a muffin case places the case in the baking tin and pour boiling water around them.Bake them in a moderate oven Gas 4-5 for 1/2 an hour or so.
Alternatively a large 1 piece can be made by greasing a 2lb baking tin and filling with the mix place the tin in the dripping tin and pour boiling water in the tin to come about 1/2 way up the sides Then cook for an hour and test to see if the center is cooked a little over is nicer than under.Mean while put the dried peas you soaked over night into the double boiler and cook to mushy peas Serve hot faggots on a bed of mushy peas and a good rich gravy. A bit of fresh crusty bread to sop up the gravy goes down well :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Re: Faggots
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 01:53:43 pm »
mmmmm they sound lovely! Although I paid my butcher £5 and he made me 60 out of our last 2 pigs ... a bargain!!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 03:32:39 pm »
Very good price.Have you seen the price of Mr Brain's and they are in my opinion as poor as they get.I think they drag a bag of stale bread crumbs past the pig sty, compared to yours and mine looseyI hope they are on the menu wi mushy peas :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

kalsi4654

• Joined May 2010
  • Pembrokeshire, West Wales
  • Solva Icelandics
    • Solva Sweet Itch Solutions and Solva Icelandic Horses
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 08:45:35 pm »
Not a recipe, but a genuine funny...

My friend, who lives near me in Wales, is married to a guy from Iceland who loves cooking and raising his own meat. Last year his brother was visiting, and they proudly told him "We will make you faggots before you go home". The reply? "Oh no you won't!"

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 08:09:54 am »
Hey up K demands a comment about ash but he obviously has no taste for the simple better things in life ;D ;D ;D :farmer:

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 06:49:41 pm »
Hi Wiz will definatley give them a go, also i think i read in one of your other posts that you made haslet which WP junior loves, would love to make her some homemade with the livers, do you have a recipe???? :yum: :pig:

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 07:34:18 pm »
Hello WP and hello you Miss Look in Processing and recipes at the bottom of the Home page Forums  There is a post by me with what to do with the pig when you have killed it and recipes for sausage and brawn and haslet all sorts of pig by products.If Miss doesn't like her food to strong just adjust the herbs and pepper and salt a bit.Let me know if you cannot find them and I will Email you them :pig: :D :D :farmer:

Sandy

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 10:53:15 pm »
Love um ;) ;) ;)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 07:55:26 am »
Great aren't they Sandy and when you have killed the pig you can wrap them in a bit of caul (apron to you?) and roast them until they start to burn.Isn't the black burn ace?yumyum ;D :pig: :wave: :farmer:

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 08:18:03 pm »
Hi wiz, cant seem to find that recipe can you post it when you get chance
Thanks WP & WP Junior aka Princess

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 09:07:20 am »
Nor can I W.P. So I'll do it again in recipes.TNX for telling me it is not there.Give me an hour and it will be Hey up Princess get Daddy to make you the deluxe ones as a treat.Get him to make a haslet and fry you a slice and eat it with some plum sauce :D :wave: :farmer:

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 02:44:11 am »
Mushy peas ... mash and gravy ... fried eggs chips and beans ... cold in a sarnie with some onion chutney (shame it's almost 3am and I've run out of food at work! >:(

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 06:51:15 am »
Hello loosey. From your email I deduce rob=male? Man of me own heart, but I eat the faggot alone sometimes as a sarnie wi mustard pickle or piccalilli may not be quite as good as haslet sarnie but it will do while someone introduces me to something better at the same or less cost I'm a big lover of pig offal Liver cooked anyway kidney the same Frys and SAUSAGES, but I am not into Cow Tripe to me it's like Tibetan Cow  ??? :D :D :D :farmer: :wave:

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 10:33:56 am »
Going to have faggots a tin of Marrowfat peas and a great big chunk of fresh bread to mop up the gravy this weekend. Cholestoral problem? what cholestoral problem you cant possibly mean me doctor!  :o :yum:

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 12:45:48 pm »
Being a backward not understandin modern problems We never had all these things when I were a lad So I said to my friendly GP "Whats this ere thing Cholesterol Dr;" His reply was "You don't need to worry about it you and Kath haven't got it you eat balanced food I know Ive seen it when I have called"

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS