Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats headbutting  (Read 1471 times)

Heather Hopkinson

• Joined Jun 2015
Goats headbutting
« on: June 07, 2015, 10:01:59 am »
I have 2 female pygmy goats who have started being boisterous. The larger of the two is usually very friendly and placid, whereas the other smaller one does not like being touched too much. It is the smaller of the two that is causing the trouble, she is really bullying the other one and headbutting her. I am having to stand next to them while they eat to avoid a fight! The little one does not headbutt me but she has attempted to headbutt other people. They have been together since birth and are approximately 4 years old. Does anyone have any good ideas about how to help this situation?

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
Re: Goats headbutting
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 07:19:05 pm »
Hi ! I would think that your smaller one has decided that she would like to rule the roost and is fighting for dominance. Other may think differently but that is my thought at the moment .As for butting other people ,I would suggest a small water pistol and they could get her before she gets them !! as this is not behaviour that you would like to encourage and needs stopping :wave:

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 08:27:15 pm »
It does sound like a move for dominance to me although I'm no expert either. Last year one of my youngsters decided she was going to make a bid for 2nd in command  and move up the herd hierarchy. It was a bit fraught while she usurped the goat above her but all settled down once they adapted to the new pecking order.

Agree I wouldn't tolerate aggression or dominance behaviour towards humans and the water pistol sound like a good idea from what people say. think my goats are freaks as they seem to not mind water (mud is different!).

Heather Hopkinson

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 11:32:11 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I am going to get a water pistol and give it a squirt! They both really hate water so hopefully it will do the trick! Thank you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS