Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Howard Gem rotarvator  (Read 11219 times)

smallacre

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Dorchester
Howard Gem rotarvator
« on: February 25, 2010, 08:01:19 pm »
Help, we have a Howard Gem it has the Sachs D500W two stroke water cooled diesel engine. Now this next bit might sound a bit daft but we have not added fuel as it came with a full tank, as it is diesel 2 stroke it’s got 2 separate tanks one for the diesel and one for I gather the oil for the mixture, now the question is what oil do I use i.e. ordinary 2 stroke oil as per my chain saw or engine oil. I have searched everywhere and dammed if I can find the answer.
Thanks in anticipation

clumbaboy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Gretna
Re: Howard Gem rotarvator
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 08:17:10 pm »
regarding your question will get back to you as soon as possible, might take a day or two to track down my diesel guru, two stroke diesels are usually a marine application that may give you another avenue of search, will try and be as quick as possible

clumbaboy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Gretna
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 08:23:21 pm »
hi just found www.mdr.co.uk  tillerparts.com they have one of those machines with that engine for sale may be worth a bell!! :D

trustysteed

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 09:31:08 pm »
Hello there.
I have used a Sachs Diesel engined Gem since 1960, the large tank is for the Diesel fuel. Small tank is for engine lubrication.  the oil recommended by the manufacturers is a straight SAE 40 HD engine oil. the oil pump is calibrated to handle this fairly thick oil, you will find the engine will smoke a bit under load, but this is fairly normal.  I can copy a manual for the engine if you need one. You should be able to source the oil through ' Morris Lubricants'  which are widely available.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 10:10:00 pm by trustysteed »

smallacre

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Dorchester
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 09:27:12 pm »
Many thanks clumbaboy for the info, emailed tillerparts.com and had a reply they say Use a series 5 S.A.E 30 oil in the header tank. Just got to track some down.
Thanks agian

smallacre

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Dorchester
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 09:33:24 pm »
Thanks trustysteed good tip Morris Lubricants I have had a good look on their website and I shall be making enquiries with them on Monday.
Re: the offer of a copy of the engine manual would be brilliant I will if possible pm you my email address.
Big thanks

Steved

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 10:01:42 am »
Hi I desperately need a copy of the gem two stroke diesel sachs rotavator parts and manual can you help?

traann

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 09:58:08 pm »
Hi

If anyone else needs the manuals for the Howard Gem or the Howard 350, I have them available electronically for free. Just post your email addy to stevehopper2@yahoo.co.uk and I'll mail them back to you asap. Also includes the Gem with Sachs 500 engine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS