Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Brooding newbie - more questions  (Read 1471 times)

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
Brooding newbie - more questions
« on: June 10, 2015, 10:44:26 am »
Hello all,

Hen is 11 days sitting now, and her comb colour has picked up dramatically since we started picking her up once a day. She walks about a bit and goes straight back on.

We've candled the eggs and I think they're all fertile.

So next questions are:

What's the best way to house them when hatched? Shes currently in her own hutch in the main pen. I can leave them in there for a day or two when hatched but I'd like them to have the grass under their feet. I can separate them out of the pen in a run on fresh grass during the day and shut them up at night.

When can they be free ranging or introduced to the others, esp the cockerel?

Shall I provide chick crumbs or will mum provide for them if she's got food and can scratch about on fresh grass?

I'm not anticipating needing external heat as she will keep them warm. Is this likely?

Many thanks.
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Brooding newbie - more questions
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 05:24:58 pm »
Leave it to Mother. Put down chick crumbs, Mother will teach the babies to peck and find food. I always keep mine in a coop and run until they are feathered up and grown a bit as we have a much loved but deadly sparrowhawk resident. You may think the hen is hogging all the grub but she will put her chicks first. Keep calm and enjoy!! :)

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
Re: Brooding newbie - more questions
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 06:59:31 pm »
Thanks Devonlady!
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS