Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What breeds (again)  (Read 4147 times)

wolfie

• Joined May 2008
What breeds (again)
« on: May 10, 2008, 10:12:54 pm »
Hi, only previous experience was with rescued F1 hybrids. We have narrowed down our search  for (apparently) dual purpose chickens to -Rhode island reds, light sussex or perhaps cuckoo marans. Does anyone out there have any advice?  Also can anyone recommend a "pet" breed for the children to look after (would be kept seperately if necessary) Many thanks

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: What breeds (again)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 08:05:08 am »
Hm. I'm not sure about the "dual purpose" tag.We've got RIR, Light Sussex and Black Rocks and Pretty Hen (don't know what she is - sold as a Black Rock but totally different) for laying. We bred pure Light Sussex last year, so had cockerels for the table. We also raised five Hubbards, which are a meat strain. The difference in the growth and carcase was astounding. We killed our Light Susse at 25 weeks and got 4lb carcases; the Hubbards were killed at 12 weeks and were between 5.5 and 7lb.

No doubt in my mind that if we want meat, get some meat birds - any meat from the "dual purpose" breeds is a by-product.

I don't have any experience of pet birds - our view us only as a source of food, but I think Silkies are supposed to be good. They're certainly very pretty.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 08:33:19 am »
Morning Wolfie - don't you just love this summer weather!

Anyway, Faverolles!  I have a beauty and his ladies are arrives in a fortnight.  They are a beauful breed to look at, very colourful with a lovely beard, yes beard - the ladies to. They are large for the table and good layers so the breeder tells me, so a good choice to put a splash of colour around your property.

For pets - Silkies as Rosemary said.  Also, miniture Buff Orpintons, very cute and like to be handled.  We have just lost ours to the fox tagically, but will get more. Which ever breed you go for as a pet, best to get it/them as young and possible and handle from the off.  We have several fancies who are stand offish, but the particular Silkie we have tamed, we hatched ourselves in the incubator, and the little Buffy we bought young and handled a lot from the start.

Let us know what you decide to get wont you.

Kate  :chook:

Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

wolfie

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 10:33:56 pm »
Thankyou both very much. Will now enter into further discussions with my wife.

mojo

• Joined May 2008
  • glenay 79330 france
  • retired and married in north deux sevre FRANCE
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 09:16:39 pm »
for the kids own bird try to find them japanese bantams ....small and if handle gently froma early age(the birds not the kids) become hand tame...............utility light sussex make a good egg supplier and coqs are slow growers but a wonderfull flavour
retired to deep in rural france.keep 2 shih tzu dogs ( 1 boy 1 girl),1 cat(girl),lots of pure breed chickens(both sexes)....golden pheasants(both sexes) and the best wife a man could have

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS