Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambies out for their first night  (Read 7224 times)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Lambies out for their first night
« on: February 25, 2010, 06:38:23 pm »
Not having a lack of barn space I have had my :sheep: in at nights.

Trouble is me and the misses have been a little ill over the last few days and last night was its normal struggle to get out in the shed for feeding and watering the  :sheep: and  :horse: the thing is 'we' accidental left the water on over night and flooded the barn :( so they cant come in tonight.

The youngest is a month old and the oldest two months so they are perfectly ok to go out - but its still a worry.

Poor little lambies :(

Ta

Baz

Re: Lambies out for their first night
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 07:21:37 pm »
Hi,

If you are concerned about leaving lambs out at night - especially in the cold / wet / wind consider something like Lamb-Macs - they can help prevent hyperthermia in new lambs left out.

Thanks

Gareth
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 09:52:03 pm »
If you decide on Lamb Macs...PLEASE remember to collect them up afterwards...one of my neighbours lost a calf that choked on one that had blown onto his land from another farm where the Shepherd just left them in the field...

farmer,  :farmer:

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 10:00:14 pm »
Good Point,

Like with most things - clear away when finished.

Can't count the number of times I have fallen flat due to disgarded Baler Twine!

Thanks

Gareth
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 10:17:51 pm »
Stapples are not good only for fixing wire to posts :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 11:00:24 pm »
......but also for putting holes in tyres!!! so many holes in tyres...... bloody staples and old fence.

I must admit that with the winds up here we have to put all our plastic under at least a couple of breeze blocks.  It still gets everywhere thought.  I cant understand how the wind unwraps the plastic off the bail!!! I need to hire someone with a machine to put it on - but the winds manages to get it off :) (along with naughty ponies if left unguarded!)

I live in hope that one day they can make biodegradable bale wrap like its available for lamb macs.

Just been up to the shed to check the last few we have in and couldn't resist a cheeky look over the hedge at the ones out.  I didn't want to disturb them as they had all settled down - but I had to check.

For what I could see they all looked ok and in there normal in shed 'set out' but on a bigger scale.  All the usual's where slept on mums backs, all the loners had a 10 foot radius - old winker with the one eye had lamb on her sight side. - I would go on but I know I should not be naming them.

Probably best for all of us that they are out - getting a little attached.

Ta

Baz

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 08:32:52 am »
You are right Baz even worse a pal had a cow eat one with disastrous results its a good while ago now and the vet killed it and they picked it up with a muck fork and bled it and had it butchered so it wasn't a total loss
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 10:05:06 am »
Well they all dont hate me this morning, so they must have been alright out last night. 

They had a stressful day yesterday with hepvac in the morning and out for the first time last night but they all seem perky as normal.

Now its going to take all day trying to dig soaking wet bedding out the shed - it weighs a bloody ton :(

I spose under those circumstances for a cows death it would be a waste not to eat it - but I would check the withdrawal period for the drug used to put the animal down carefully before I did the same.

Ta

Baz

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 12:46:05 pm »
No Baz the drug went BANG

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 04:21:02 pm »
lol

took me two reads of that before I clicked :) - thought it was an acronym for some kind of drug

Ta

Baz

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 08:51:44 pm »
Lol.   I stand reponsible for leaving said water on  ::)  I m usually pretty good about things like that, but brain was overclouded by a nasty headache and was not on full memory capacity  ::)

Sooo i feel sad they are out but glad that i can gain a stable space to get some Spring pony things done and that they can get on with the spring (when it decides to arrive)

At least they here now all 37 of them with a small group left to go, not bad for first timers :D  as our neighbours said its a cast of beginners luck :D :sheep:   

Baz has named far more than me :D

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 08:06:15 am »
Hello Helle Why is it beginners luck Could it be you put to at the right time looked after them properly and was repaid by the ewes properly I think so luck has nothing to do with it.If you have read many of my posts If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any at all Well done ;D :farmer:

SuzanneJayne

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 11:56:35 am »
Hi wonder if you can help me, hand-rearing a lamb that is now 3 weeks old, feeding really well and our German Shepherd is looking after Timmie the Lamb, along with my 10 year old!  We are all very happy, but my husband is getting a little fed up with the amount of wee and poo in the house, definately a spoilt little lamb.  How old are they when they start eating food and can go out over night?

I appreciate they are born in a field, before anyone freaks out that he is in the house, but if we are going to keep him need more information can anyone offer any advice please?

Much appreciated.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 02:44:27 pm »
I am new to this as well so dont take it as gospel, but have you tried putting some creep feed or a little haylage in with it when its in the house?  It may start to eat it naturally when its ready inbetween its bottles.

I noticed that a few of mine started just tickling their noses and easting one strand here and there after a few weeks.  We had a one mother with only one teat working so we were feeding its lambs at night by the bottle, but her lambs were early to really start trying out the hay - probably cos they had too.

Do you have any in a barn at the moment?  If you have then I would also put the lamb in with them at day times so the rest of them get used to it and except it as part of the flock.  It may take its chances and do the rounds on other mothers when they are feeding - they do get butted out the way but they are quite hardy.

I dont envy you having it in the house - but we would have done the same!! :)

Ta

Baz

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 05:09:22 pm »
Hi SuzanneJanyne...when we hand reared our Laurence (pet ram) in the house, we started him on solids by feeding him 'rice crispies' with plently of milk...he loved/loves them...we started feeding them to him once he was finishing all of his bottle...as a top up...then cut down the bottle a little at a time until he was just eating the cereal...then introduced him to creep feed.

I know they make a mess (thank god for flagstone flooring) but its well worth it...I also agree with Bazzais however...you do need to introduce him to the other flock members asap...a few minutes at a time and then longer by degrees...that first night when they don't come home is a heart breaker...watch out!

Good luck...Farmer,  :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS