Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Marsh Land worth it?  (Read 2252 times)

Lukey

• Joined May 2015
Marsh Land worth it?
« on: June 09, 2015, 08:12:33 pm »
Right, where I walk my dog there is a small marsh, which is around 70 acres of graze-able land, it has higher ground which the tide doesn't cover which livestock could be moved up on to. Is it worth asking about it for grazing sheep? It hasn't been grazing for the last couple of years, but used to be grazed by cattle. As some of you may know I have had set back regarding other conservation land I was planning to have. What are you thoughts on grazing marsh land? all advice/opinions needed before I enquire about. :)

Luke

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: Marsh Land worth it?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 10:56:30 pm »
Shetland cattle (I believe they've been mentioned before) will do OK.

Please take a look at the SCBA site (http://www.shetlandcattle.org.uk/conservation-grazing)

This has some info that may be useful.

We keep Shetlands here in Moray, NE Scotland. Not actually a marsh, though sometimes I wonder - our fields abut a grouse moor, 250m up in the foothills of the Caringorms - very boggy at times with surface water run off. We know the keeper of the Shetlands shown in the picture on the page linked - her cattle do very well there.

Good luck.

Sue

Lukey

• Joined May 2015
Re: Marsh Land worth it?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 03:42:26 pm »
I am actually starting to think about Shetland cattle, Still haven't decided which to keep, Cattle or sheep. Hmm, Both?! ;D

Thanks for the link, I found it quite helpful  :)

The is dry's within the a few days, but it only gets covers about once a month when it's high tide, when the tides normal it's doesn't get covered.

Thank you! :)

Luke

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS