Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: solar panel for electric fence  (Read 2741 times)

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
solar panel for electric fence
« on: June 08, 2015, 10:13:04 pm »
If I want to connect a solar panel to a battery powered electric fence to keep it charged up, do I need a charge controller or can the panel connect directly to the battery terminals?

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: solar panel for electric fence
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 10:27:42 pm »
Best go to a big caravan or boating  supply place,  even one of the online ones on eBay and ask questions .

You can get all manner of solar charging stuff for  caravan & boat ledger batteries.
 Some panels are like hinged a suitcase so you can take advantage of a split array. scenario .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 11:08:39 pm »
as a general rule, I would say you should have a charge controller; but if it's a small panel and/or a large 'wet type' battery (as in you can top up the battery with water) and you check the electrolyte level regularly, then you may get away without a controller.

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 10:59:06 pm »
The rule of thumb is that you need a charge controller if the output of the panel is more than 10% of the Ah rating of the battery. So, for most installations, anything much over 6w of solar is likely to need a controller, unless you have a particularly large battery.

The good news is that charge controllers are not expensive. EBay is definitely the place to go, much cheaper than the likes of Maplins.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 09:59:03 pm »
Thank you, that's just the sort of info I needed.
One battery is 90Ah the other I'm not sure - a sealed cell type I was given and doesn't have anything on it to tell me.
I'll check out ebay tomorrow. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS