Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear Tag Question  (Read 2209 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Ear Tag Question
« on: June 08, 2015, 12:44:17 am »
Due to my sows fighting, they have ripped each others ears, and lost their ear tag.

Do I order tags with my number on, or the one they came with?  I can see them losing the new tags as well.

Also I am wanting to move them to my other land.  This is classed as same holding as its within 5 miles of the old place.  My question is, what do I need to do to get them moved - as in paperwork?

CharingPorkPantry

• Joined Nov 2014
Re: Ear Tag Question
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 08:28:30 am »
Hello Roxy,

It depends I think. Are they pedigree registered or not? If they are registered they must keep the same ID so it would be the breeders tags. If not I don't *think* it matters if you change to your own tags. Someone will confirm.

As to the moving, I cant be too much help there. You wouldn't think you'd need a ML or anything as its to your same holding but I guess you might have to prove that if you got stopped (unlikely though that is).

Rebecca  :wave:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 08:51:02 am »
ok, on question 1 - pigs only need to be tagged when they are moved between holdings with the ID of the holding they are going from.  Once they have arrived - if a tag gets ripped out, it does not need to be replaced (but you can't legally remove it).  So having lost their tags, they do not need to be tagged again whilst they remain on the same holding.

on question 2 Moves within a holding do not need paperwork, so as your land is classed as a single holding, no paperwork is required

So as pigs are moving within the same holding, you do not need to tag them and you need no paperwork!

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 03:10:08 pm »
Thank you for your replies .....I asked the questions because I assumed that all livestock  (pigs, goats sheep) had to have tags by law?  The pigs are not registered.

So, what if I sold the pigs?  Would I then have to tag them with my ID??

Appreciate any input on this - thanks.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 06:47:10 pm »
pigs differ from sheep, goats and cattle in that they only need to be identified when they MOVE between holdings.

Under 1 yr they can move on a temporary mark, over that live to live they need tattoo or tag, or at any age to slaughter they need either tattoo, tag or slapmark.

so you do not need to replace a tag that has come out - unlike sheep !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS