Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long?  (Read 2214 times)

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
How long?
« on: June 14, 2015, 01:12:20 am »
Goose laid first egg about the 3/4th May. Laid nine in all.  First gosling appeared on 10th June.  Nothing since.  Junior is doing well, being well cared for by dad, uncles and auntie while mum continues to sit. How long before any more are hatched or is the goose just going to give up?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: How long?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 02:46:57 pm »
Googled and found this "incubation of goose eggs varies slightly with the breed. Some eggs from the lighter breeds may start pipping after 28 days, while eggs from the larger breeds may take 35 days. It may take up to 3 days for hatching to be completed."
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 04:06:59 pm »
Sorry I know nothing about geese so excuse the amateur question.
If it takes 3 days for hatching to take place, does Mother Goose hang around in her nest for all that time? What does she do with the earliest goslings who will want to eat and drink?
Is it time to retire yet?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 04:11:49 pm »
Birds don't need to be sitting on eggs 24/7 till they hatch.  They get off the nest to eat and drink - so the hatched chicks/ducklings will go with her then go back under her or peck around close to her.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 07:16:18 pm »
That seem to be the case here Annie, she does get off the nest for short periods to eat and drink.  I think that Junior will be the only one, but most welcome nevertheless  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 09:57:46 pm »
I think you may be right - Junior took 37 days.  Have you checked to see if there's any sign of pipping/cracking?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 11:14:50 pm »
As long as she is eating and drinking and getting a bit of exercise I would leave her on the eggs, she will know if all is lost and may surprise you yet!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 12:01:46 am »
37 days seems a long time even for a goose, are you sure the others weren't still laying eggs in 'her' nest?
Mine (Embden) have usually taken about 30/31 days

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 08:04:16 am »
They might have been PHB there are several other females in the group.  This morning she carefully covered them up before leaving for her morning bath and breakfast.  I will leave her a while longer.  as DL said there might still be a nice surprise.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS