Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: FCS Starter Farm Wobblies  (Read 6716 times)

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
FCS Starter Farm Wobblies
« on: June 05, 2015, 11:52:02 pm »
So as many of you good folk will be aware myself and FSM nutter embarked on our challenge of a life time earlier this year when we applied for an FCS New starter farm and we seem to have ticked all the right boxes etc etc etc as we are one of 3 candidates from 68 to get to the interview stage .

However .I am pooing my pants !!!

I don't know if its an age thing but I really am finding it difficult to deal with the stress involved ,
Having passed some of the most stressful and arduous  courses the army has to offer I have to say I THOUGHT this would be a mere tab in the park !  WRONG !!!

Does anyone have any quick non alcholic stress remedies ?

The interview is wed at 1015hrs so would a collective 2 mins silence be taking the pi$$ ??? 
And then theres the what to wear question ?????

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Re: FCS Starter Farm Wobblies
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 12:46:43 am »
Well , I will ( and; I WILL) maintain a two minute silence at 10.15 on Wednesday. I am having a dental crown fitted at 10 :roflanim: however, but more importantly, i will be rooting for you!
You have not been shortlisted for nothing. You clearly stand out from the crowd.  I cannot  take the stress away but if it helps, think of me, a dental phobic, stuck on a dentist chair, with an idiot grin ( thinking of you both to avoid addressing the task in hand) and just do it!
In my day job (as an advocate) i tell often clients that there is no one more expert than they are about who they are, why they say what they say and why they are right. I suspect that you may need reminding of that truth.
Good luck.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 01:29:07 am »
I find things more stressful now too.  I have worked out a relaxation technique which really does help.  You need to go somewhere quiet, preferably outdoors, no-one else around. Sit down, regulate your breathing, close your eyes, then concentrate on what you can hear and smell, near and far.  I hear nibbling sheep, snuffling dogs, cheeping and screeing birds, the breeze, rustling leaves, various smells (not always very nice), distant vehicles, snufflings in the undergrowth.  If I'm indoors it may only be man-made sounds I hear, but it still works.  Keep your breathing slow and relax into what you hear, not letting other thoughts in. It is also possible to consciously lower your own blood pressure.     Do the relaxation each day.  Make sure not to wind eachother up before the interview, and don't have differences of opinion in front of the examiners.  Definitely no alcohol.

For your interview, KNOW you are the best couple for the opportunity. Have a look through the info they already have about you, and think what extra stuff they may need to know.  Be confident and sell yourselves.

To wear, if your interview is on the farm, a nice clean, but not brand new, boiler suit would be ok, or just jeans, a check shirt and boots.  Don't be scruffy, but look like you are happy to muck right in.  If the interview is somewhere else, I don't have a clue  :roflanim:

Good luck both, and tell us how it goes  :fc:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 06:25:49 am »
I shall certainly be thinking positive thoughts for you on Wednesday at 10-15.  :thumbsup:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 07:17:23 am »
Regardless of out come you have done well to now...

From your posts on here you are as well prepared as you can be for this...

I will remember to pray for you both on Wednesday morning...

We expect full feedback after the event...:-P

Lastly try really hard to get a good night's sleep the night before...

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 08:33:41 am »
How about some of the Bach flowers essences - the rescue remedy
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 08:44:25 am »
I guess you feel like this because you really want this to happen. A bit if nerves are good, sharpen the brain etc, as already said, you know you best, and can sell yourself to the panel. I have done lots of interviewing over the years, and in my experience, interview panels can see who is really enthusiastic, has all the right skills etc, rather than just going on the paper evidence from the application process. They will be looking for common sense, knowledge, realism and a real passion for farming. you both have the knowledge, I am sure you have common sense and a sense of humour, to have stayed the course in small holding you have a sense of realism, and must have a passion to consider taking on something more challenging. Good luck, I shall be thinking about you on Wednesday, and let us know how it turns out.  :hug:

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 11:20:17 am »
For appropriate dress I would suggest being as smart as you can for the circumstances - if  you take a pride in your appearance then they will know you will care for there property too and I guess if you turn up like a scarecrow then vice versa.
 I would try and prepare as best I could re the farm and your plan - might also be worth a random contact with some one who has won an fcs farm before - the worst the random stranger can say is no - I think most of the winners have been in the press - know your plan inside out - run things past a suitable 3rd person incase theres something you have missed - better to make a mistake in practice - trust in your abilities training and practice - good luck!

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 03:43:44 pm »
And don't forget - saliva in the mouth before you step into the room. It sounds a bit basic but trying to speak with a dry nervous mouth is almost impossible. And slow down so you have time to consider your answers before you deliver them.  We'll all be thinking of you.  :fc:
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 03:49:07 pm »
For anyone who really suffers interview anxiety to the point of panic, palpitations and sweating.. your GP will probably script some beta blockers.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 04:24:46 pm »
just be yourselves, you are an awesome pair and will do just fine  :thumbsup:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 05:31:34 pm »
Rescue Remedy...I swear by it. Both my children have used it through all their exams. I used it religiously when I was competing at dressage and when I was interviewed for the job I now do.
I swear it does work
Is it time to retire yet?

paddy1200

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 11:20:08 pm »
Look smart but not overdressed.
Take a small pause before answering a question and if you need more time, ask them to repeat it.
Don't wing it, answer to the best of your knowledge and admit if you're not sure.
Do your research, knowledge of the system/expectations/business is key.
Be prepared for the 'what would you do if ' scenarios.
Above all, do your best and stay relaxed.
Camomile tea is a good calmer.
Good luck

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 11:28:58 pm »
Praying as well. Hope all goes well.  :thumbsup:

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 08:43:42 am »
Thinking positive thoughts for you. Good luck!  :hug:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS