Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Totally messed up tagging  (Read 2786 times)

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
Totally messed up tagging
« on: June 05, 2015, 09:00:27 am »
I have totally messed up the tagging of my first six lambs.

I ordered my first tags, numbered 1-10, yellow and purple.  I managed to start with ten, so I've tagged them 10,9,8,7,6,5 and still have 1-4 to use next year!!

I also put one yellow tag in the right ear instead of the left.  Luckily they're are all going for meat this year.

I was concentrating so hard on getting them to keep still, and getting the tag in the right place and doing it quickly that I completely ignored the order.

Someone PLEASE tell me that I don't have to do them again!! That would not be good.

:dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: Totally messed up tagging
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 09:16:23 am »
Don't worry about it. Tagging is not the most pleasant of jobs to do. I did exactly the same as you even worse I ended up with two sheep with the same number on my records and only realised after they had been sold

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 09:39:58 am »
No you won't have to do them again.

If you use the remaining tags next year then there will be no problem at all.  If you decide not to use them, then note that in your record book and keep the pairs of tags somewhere safe so you can produce them on an inspection.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 11:54:39 am »
So it doesn't really matter what order you tag them in then, or if you miss numbers?

That certainly helps our situation where we have some pedigree sheep who need association numbers, and some who don't!  It wasn't an issue this year, as all the pedigree lambs were boys who we won't register, but I'll have to work this one out sooner or later!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 03:57:33 pm »
My ewe lambs are lettered (and have their pedigree names) in alphabetical order as they're born and the ram lambs are in numerical order.  I tape a piece of duct tape to a length of wood and stick the yellow then coloured tags to it in pairs, with the number/letter chalked on the wood next to it, so I can get hold of the lambs in any order but still tag them correctly.  Sounds complicated but it makes things a lot easier for my record-keeping system if A is 337, B is 338 and so on.

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 04:14:43 pm »
If we get inspected we will have a bit of explaining to do. My little girl decided that sticking the tags together was fun after watching me do it so have I think 10 that are done up and not in ears and then she hid another handful somewhere although no idea where but as she was planting bulbs at the time Im guessing they are underground somewhere.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 04:34:50 pm »
It could have been worse Moony (i.e. I take it she doesn't have a dog, cat or little sister?)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 06:30:28 pm »
I'm feeling much better about this now! :roflanim:
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS