Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: crates  (Read 3101 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
crates
« on: February 23, 2010, 06:34:15 pm »
there is deffently a skill or technique here that i have not yet mastered!!
does anyone know the secrets of taken a crate apart?
i have tried with crow bar and other tools.
if this can be done the wood can be used in so many different ways on a smallholding,
if you unlock this you will be my freind forever, i lost count how many i have ruined
in frutration with sledge in hand! ;)
langdon
Langdon ;)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: crates
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 09:47:30 pm »
Shouldn't really use a grinder near wood but to help get pallets apart I find its easier to grind the head off the nails and pull the planks off the stubs rather than pull the nails out sometimes.

Funny how they are always well put together when you want them apart - but when you want them to stay in one piece they inevitably fall into bits.  :) Sod law.

Pallet wood is awesome to have around the place, they sell them for a £1 a piece at my local farm outlet, sometimes there is some ace wood on them. But as you say sometimes the wood come off in bits and splinters.

Ta

Baz

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 09:44:47 am »
nice one man neva thought of the grinder before.
i hope it works imagine what i could do with that in my hands if it doesnt!! ;)
Langdon ;)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 10:28:57 am »
Easiest way because 99% of pallats are assembled with annular ring nails they wont pull out Acquire a good stout punch a parallel one if you can tapered ones tend to split the wood if they become wider than the nail head and punch them in.You need a good punch and a heavy hammer no tappin abht wi a toffee ammer ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 01:02:32 am »
Just started taking pallets apart and I have found that using a reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade works really well. I stand the pallet on end and saw down the joins on all 8 outside blocks. This leaves the middle one that is harder to get to but it can be twisted in the right way to get it off.
I then saw down any other gaps that need to be split.

Hope that makes sense....

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 08:25:57 am »
Reads as a good idea Ian I assume you then punch the head out backwards as there are no annular rings at the head end of the nail usually?I gut a special pallat a little while ago It had ducting on it The boards were 12ft long David"I have a good job for them Dad" So I didn't File them under S for save. ;D ;D :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 09:29:49 am »
Yes Wizard. They punch out a treat  :)

I would love some big pallets.
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS