Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambing shopping list  (Read 3552 times)

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
Lambing shopping list
« on: February 20, 2010, 08:04:16 am »
I'm expecting my first lambs ever just after Easter.  Is there a difinitive list of everything that I need to have ready? :sheep:

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Lambing shopping list
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 10:10:02 am »
glucose. tube feeding equipment. needles. iodine spray. castrator equipment. milk powder and the other stuff. hen there the black liquid for giving the lamb a boost. gloves and lubicant. hand sterizer and water proof clothing.
hopefully you won't need any but its a long way to the vets when you need it then and there.   

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 06:49:32 pm »
Tim Tyne's book "The sheep book for smallholders" has it all. Have you got the chance to get onto a lambing course before, or if not to go and watch/help a farmer nearby??? I am very glad I did a lambing course and helped out at a nearby farm, I wouldn't have had the confidence otherwise to just go in and help out an ewe with problems.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 08:01:04 pm »
shetlandpaul has listed most the stuff you'll need but apart from lamb milk powder you'll also need colostrum incase they cant feed from mum for any reason, they will need this within a few hours of birth. 

You may also need an infra red lamp

Get some small water containers with small bottoms to put in your lambing pens, then if a lambs jumps in they wont drown as the bucket will fall over.

We also put stockholm tar on our lambs before they go out to help stop the foxes.

Ta

Baz

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 08:07:40 am »
I'm booked on a course but I would like to have everything prepared, dont want to leave it all to the last minute, so thanks for the advice - off to Amazon to order the book now!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 11:37:31 am »
odds are you will either get up and find the lamb healthly following its mum or you will come home and the same will have happened. try to be relaxed and just watch. try not to mess with them unless your very sure you need to. make sure there is someone you can call on and don't forget the vet if needed.

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 04:08:22 pm »
Hi,
To buy Everything you "might" need would cost a small fortune.

We reccomend :

Iodine,
Gloves
Colostrum
Lamb Tonic
Tail / Castration rings + applicator pliers

Spare towells - to dry lambs

We also sell a "Basic Lambing Kit" if you want to take a look at what that contains.

Good Luck

Gareth
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS