Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bird flu  (Read 7551 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Bird flu
« on: November 13, 2007, 07:14:35 am »
Sorry I know I appear to be asking all the miserable questions.  Does anyone have any idea as to if the farm on which bird flu has just been diagnosed is a big commercial one?

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
Re: Bird flu
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 09:19:20 am »
i heard on the radio this morning (while sitting in traffic!! joy!!) they are doing the tests today to see which strain it is. according to the bbc (www.bbc.co.uk) there are 5000 turkeys 1000 ducks and 500 geese, all of which will be destroyed. they have identified the h5 virus but do not yet know if it is the deadly h5n1 strain. All poultry keepers on the British poultry register will be notified.

jan

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 07:08:30 pm »
Unfortunately this has now been confirmed as the h5n1 strain!!  I live in Lincolnshire but it is still a worry even though i only have 6 girls and the enclosure is quite secure, but about a mile away in a lake with in coming geese etc.  This is all such a great shame. :(

rustyme

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 05:42:16 pm »
New cases of bird flu found.

Press Assoc. - 1 hour 2 minutes agoThree wild swans found dead in Dorset have tested positive for the H5N1 strain of bird flu, the Government confirmed.

The birds were found in the Chesil Beach area of the county during routine surveillance.

A control area has been set up in the area, within which bird owners must isolate their flocks from wild birds. No disease has been found in domestic birds, and a programme of surveillance of wild birds is to be carried out.

Defra said there were no plans to cull wild flocks as this may disperse birds further. The Government's acting chief veterinary officer, Fred Landeg, said: "While this is obviously unwelcome news, we have always said that Britain is at a constant low level of risk of introduction of avian influenza.

"Our message to all bird keepers, particularly those in the area, is that they must be vigilant, report any signs of disease immediately, and practice the highest levels of biosecurity."

John Houston, general manager at Abbotsbury Tourism Ltd, said the dead birds were found by a member of staff at Abbotsbury Swannery and Defra was notified as part of standard procedure.

Three mute swans from the Swannery have been identified as having the deadly H5N1 virus, he said in a statement.

"Our main concern is the welfare of the swans, our staff and the general public," Mr Houston said. "We are working closely with Defra to ensure that this outbreak is contained and that the number of swans affected is limited. We are also working with the Health Protection Agency to ensure that staff and public are fully protected."

The new discovery comes less than a month after restrictions on poultry movement were lifted in Norfolk and Suffolk. The restriction zone, which covered parts of the two counties, was imposed following an outbreak of H5N1 on a free range turkey farm in November, and only removed on December 19.

A spokesman for the National Farmers' Union (NFU) said they were monitoring the situation closely. "We are in contact with Defra, and have already had discussions with key Defra officials both at a national and regional level. Investigations are ongoing into the source of the infection and no-one yet knows its cause."

Russ

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 07:02:46 pm »
Thanks for this - I haven't seen the news yet. Not good news.

rustyme

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 07:08:16 pm »
no Not good news at all . Lets just hope that it just stays at this. It would be a good idea for people to get in a stock of virkonS just in case though . Virkon S is a gov approved disinfectant ,for those that haven't come across it before, that is very good indeed and cheap !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS