Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tell me all about showing  (Read 3873 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Tell me all about showing
« on: June 03, 2015, 06:58:02 pm »
I'm wondering whether to dip my toe into the scary world of showing. I have absolutely no idea of what is involved. Can anyone give me an idiot's guide  :eyelashes:
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Tell me all about showing
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 07:45:50 pm »
Try this http://ssgf.uk/exhibitors/beginners-guide-to-showing-goats/

See you at Lanark on 26th September  :thumbsup:

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 08:18:11 pm »
Too far for me I'm afraid. I was thinking more about the local stuff
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 08:48:08 pm »
Hi !! When I dipped my toes in many moons ago, first I got someone that already showed from my local goat club to have a look at the milker I wanted to show. I had already attended lots of shows to see what they may have been looking for. Then had a good look at my rabble, asked someone's opinion and went for it. She was good on a lead and happy to be with me which helped. Lots of advice from fellow show people and a helping hand from a goat club member.  Did well so had several more goes with young stock and my favourite milker. Job done !! Have to admit I didn't take it too seriously just enjoyed myself and took goats that were more than happy to be with me  :relief:

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 10:00:03 pm »
First you need to cae test your goats if you haven't already download form on British goat society website. Get entry schedule for show and choose which ones to enter you need one handler per goat in each class .The local agricultural shows are best to start with. Check feet trimmed and wash goat day before ideally -weather dependent.
Goats will need a collar each a short lead is useful for milking.Pens are normally sheep hurdles.Take hay rack, hay some straw for pens and plastic cover for pens if it rains. Hay greens twigs goats breakfast whatever your goats used to. water bucket, if taking milker take milking bucket. At the agri. shows you generally arrive for 8.30am hand over paperwork penned goats, feed. Judging normally starts 9 /9.30am The Judge looks at the dairy milkers first in full udders then you go and milk them after everyones finished you go back into the ring. Judge tells you to walk goat this way that way not quite do a twirl them makes their placing. Other adult female breeds.Then Goatlings shown, kids and males. You usually get to leave after 3pm
 The BGS shows require an overnight stay if showing dairy milkers as they take part in a 24hour milking competition with milk weighed and samples of milk being sent away. If they win enough points they can get awards attached to their registered name. Penned and milked by 6pm checked by stewards, judge first inspection 6.30am /7am milk goat weigh sample milk, breakfast start the full judging. Afternoon nap? milking at 6.30 pm  once milked weighed and samples sealed in box you can head home. Everyone usually helps each other out.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 10:06:33 pm »
In Aberdeenshire local agri shows with goat classes available from their websites -
Echt Show Sat 11th July entries close 19th June
Turriff Show Sunday 2nd August entries close 5th July
Tarland Show Sat 8th August

BGS recognized shows -
Thainstone 18th July
Forfar 15th 16th August

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 10:30:00 pm »
That's great, thanks. I was thinking maybe Turriff with one of the kids might be an easier first time.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 10:05:10 am »
That's great clydesdaleclopper, over the summer you can get your kids used to a collar and a short lead (when they are bigger you just need the collar the lead just saves your back) and walking beside you and just stroking them getting them used to being handled which you probably do anyway.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 05:08:49 pm »
Hi
I showed my 2 kids for the first time last year, great fun, though very nervous. But everybody is helpful and happy to advise. Lovely to meet public and talk goats as well, my 2 babies were well photgraphed that day, esp when they were bottle fed  ;D
Just had to make sure they were tagged, feet trimmed, bathed the previous afternoon (that was fun??!!) and led out to the field on leads for a few weeks.
nice new collar and lead.
Don't forget movement forms (like I did, had them all filled out and ready, left them at home ::)  )
Straw is supplied at our local show. but not hay etc.
Just showing kids is a great way to dip your toe in and join the fun.
I used to live near New Deer, do they still have a show there? That was a nice little show.

gillsta

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Methlick Aberdeenshire
  • Gillsta
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 11:54:41 am »
Turriff is a well set out show Clydesdale clopper. Tarland was really nice last year as well and they do a wee parade of all the animals around the show ring at the end. :wave:
Showing and breeding Pygmy Goats
Always room for another goat as he will never notice

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS