Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shearing In-Lamb Ewes?  (Read 2721 times)

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
Shearing In-Lamb Ewes?
« on: June 04, 2015, 10:09:50 pm »
O wise and learned ones of all things woolly...

We have recently discovered (Tuesday afternoon, when our neighbour phoned us to tell us we had a pair of lambs in our field) that one of last year's lambs - who went with the others late Jan to the abattoir - wasn't castrated properly and has managed to have his wicked way with his mum and aunts  ::)  :thinking: Luckily the twins born on Tuesday only have one head apiece, and the usual number of limbs! They are perfectly marked for the breed too!

Anyway...I'm fairly certain that the other three ewes are also pregnant (one of them has bagged up overnight) and they are all booked in with the shearer on Sunday  (booked a few weeks ago). I've been assured that the one with lambs afoot will be fine to be shorn but I'm getting conflicting opinions on the (probably) in-lamb ones. I asked on my local smallholding FB group and most people said it would be fine to shear ewes so close to lambing. I'm not convinced. I don't care how the fleece comes off so is there a way of shearing the ewes without tipping them or stressing them out? They are all super docile so very used to being handled and fussed. The shearer was super gentle with them last year.

Should I get them all shorn? They have enormous fleeces and are getting very itchy with them. I'm also concerned with them getting fly strike, giving birth so late in the year.

Opinions please?

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
Re: Shearing In-Lamb Ewes?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 11:04:31 pm »
I'm not sure about the shearing of in lamb ewes but I did think of something else based on yesterday's experience. When the ewes and lambs we're put back together after shearing (they were in a trailer for a couple of hours max, in separate compartments) they had quite a job pairing up again as they couldn't recognise each other. Lambs are 11 weeks old, so might be even more of an issue for younger ones. There was also quite a bit of head bashing amongst the ewes who thought their field was suddenly full of strange sheep. Might be worth penning the lambs with their mothers for a few hours afterwards?
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 11:32:44 pm »
We didn't have any issues with that last year - lambs between 6 and 8 weeks old - everyone found each other ok. We do only have four ewes though and they are all very close, being triplets and a single half-sister.

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 12:31:24 am »
I have a similar situation waiting for two to lamb and still fleeced. Shearer advised me to wait until after lambing and he would come back to do them. Not so sure it's a good idea so close to lambing unless he can do them stood up. I have seen it done all depends if you're prepared to have the fleece in bits. Dag them right out to reduce chances of flystrike

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 07:51:06 am »
I've just bumped a similar thread back to the top, hope that's allowed!
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Gunnermark

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 10:47:39 pm »
So long as the shearer knows they are in lamb then they will take it steady. I had an in lamb ewe that he sheared for me as she cycled over 10 later than the rest and I had no problems at all. They just have to take it easy!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 07:41:15 pm »
If the shearer knows they're in lamb he should be able to take off enough of the fleece while they're standing up to keep them comfortable.  One person or head collar to hold one end and someone else to keep the back end steady.  Might look a bit like a show poodle but a happy one.  You could always trim them up with hand shears after they've lambed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS