Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Preventing Flystrike.  (Read 5059 times)

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
Preventing Flystrike.
« on: June 01, 2015, 09:00:49 am »
Hi What are peoples anti fly strike regimes,every year I seem to get plagued buy it just before shearing time.Last year I crovect them in the spring but they still seemed to get it .I shear them now in early June crovec them and don't seem to get ant further problems.I very nearly lost one yesterday even then it was showing no outward signs.
I know Click lasts longer but would it work on fully fleased animals in the spring.What do the big boys do I'm sure they can't examine every sheep daily as I now seem to have to. Thanks for any advice.
Graham.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Preventing Flystrike.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 09:09:29 am »
Your weather is warmer than ours so I'd expect flystrike to hit earlier.  I Clik the lambs when I see more than 6 greenbottles in a day.  Where does it strike?  If around the tail you could crutch them in March and do a really thorough job - not just a strip each side but all the tail and the inside of the legs too.  If you're in an exposed spot I suggest doing the ewes at the turn of the year, or their udders will be exposed to chilly winds.  If on the shoulders you could remove that wool too.  You could also put them in a windy field as it starts to get warmer, if you have one.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 11:20:36 am »
Crovect only lasts 6-8 weeks; we had a lamb go down with it in the middle of the 6th week last year so bear this in mind that it will not give a full summer's worth of protection.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 02:10:52 pm »
I had Southdown's in Hampshire years ago, amongst other breeds,  and in the days of vetrazine, use clik or clikzin now, I would spray pre May as my downs would get struck on the tip of their tails despite what looked like very clean rear ends!! Then after shearing at the appropriate no of weeks to allow wool regrowth. Have also had to respray late as had a ewe struck in October as weather was warm and humid. I had a flock of 30 or so and only by watching them did I know on the rare occasion, that they had been GOT !!! Best advise is weather watch for warm humid periods and sheep watch, no harm in early spraying as long as your shearer is happy ?? Have only ever used fleece bind products, although cheaper at first glance,the ones that give cover only where it covers are NOT for me.  :relief:

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 02:27:57 pm »
Clik and clikzen all the way !

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 04:59:39 pm »
Novice Question:
Can you overdo the Clikzen?
Ive been told that the person Im getting my lambs from will Clikzen them immediately before they come to us and she said they wont need doing again this summer ( ?? Im pretty doubtful about that bit having read what you all say)...but while I am happy to keep an eye out and Clikzen them again I wouldn't want to overdose them. Im planning to fatten over summer then send them off to abbatoir in pairs from mid November , when hopefully flies will be well finished
Is it time to retire yet?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 08:09:11 pm »
Watch the withdrawal period and length of effectiveness information.  If it's very wet they length shortens and if it's humid and warm flies will be a problem well into Autumn.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 08:53:12 pm »
Kimbo clikzen has a lot shorter coverage than clik.  So theyed need re doing in 6-8 weeks. 

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 11:20:18 am »
Hi Thanks for all the replies,click it is then.So basically spray in early my,then shear and spray again.And then be prepared to treat again at the end of summer.Is it safe to dose them in early may then shear in June and then spray again.

Regards Graham.
Graham.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 12:23:28 pm »
NO     :sheep:  if you put in CLIK  NOAH you can read the full information     

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 01:20:56 pm »
Using clikzen pre shearing is what we do here, your shearer  possibly won't touch a clicked sheep as it would be only half way through its active period.  Clickzen would  give you all the power of the product but a much happier shearer come late June early July, due to its shorter withdrawal and it would time better. THEN clik x

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 01:34:40 pm »
NO     :sheep:  if you put in CLIK  NOAH you can read the full information   

Think I understood this but not sure any novice would  (OK my interpretation)...
    .    Don't Clik before shearing .... Clickzin if done early enough to be wearing off at shearing. (2 months)
Clik when wool is 2-3cm long post shearing.

Link to NOAH site for Clik   http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Novartis_Animal_Health_UK_Ltd/CLiK_5_ACU-_w_v_Pour-On_Suspension/-27892.html   which clearly says  ...quote  Do not shear sheep in the 3 months after treatment.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 05:59:24 pm »
 :thumbsup:   Also note the advice to wear overalls when handling treated sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS