Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: school trip!......to China!!  (Read 9566 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
school trip!......to China!!
« on: June 02, 2015, 04:49:33 pm »
My youngest (1st year) came home from school the other night all excited waving this bit of paper at me shouting "there's a school trip".....where to I ask?

CHINA he says  :o

Trying hard not to kill his dream in one fell swoop I asked to read through the school newsletter so I could see what the deal was. The price per child for this is £2000! Now, to be fair the school are going to try and do some fundraising to ease some of the financial burden but even so there is no way we can stretch to that and when I explained to him that I honestly didn't think we could afford it (we could all go on holiday for a week for that and less!!) he was very pragmatic, saying well I don't like chinese food much anyway  ;D

but seriously, what happened to camping trips in France or exchange trips to Germany etc?  I appreciate that they are planning going to the Terracotta warriors etc and its 17 days long but personally I think it's pretty poor of the school to suggest this to parents in this current economic climate. Will be interesting to see what the uptake on this trip is.
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: school trip!......to China!!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 04:59:28 pm »
I honestly despair of schools that do this. My nephew's lad's school had a trip to Iceland (not the frozen food store) which cost a fortune.

It must put so much pressure on parents, especially if they have several children at school. It must just emphasise the gap between the "haves" and the "have nots".

My view is - if it's part of the curriculum, then all go and it's funded by the school; if it's not part of the curriculum, it's a holiday and isn't the school's responsibility.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 05:12:17 pm »
Oli my eldest wad offered a school trip to New York cost 1500 for a 5 day trip including travel time... Not happening...

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 05:21:36 pm »
my son was heartbroken for 2 yrs in a row as we couldn't afford £800 for a 5 day trip to france. no other option was offered so you either went or you didn't. with Scotland outside the door, they could have a fantastic time for much less. im sure the teachers get all expenses paid.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 05:24:40 pm »
I think that is an absolute sin!!!!!  It is elitist and creates class barriers

My sister got to go on a school trip in 5th year - a cruise to teh fjords - I have no idea how my parents managed to fund it as Dad was a postie and Mum worked in the office of the family business - not a shareholder.  I never got ANY school trips and I haven't suffered.  (except for my sister dropping the movie camera I lent her on the deck!  :innocent:)

My grandchildren get to go on the PLG trips now they're in senior school and the oldest did get to America last year - but it was certainly worthwhile and her father could afford it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 05:47:52 pm »
im sure the teachers get all expenses paid.

I'm sure they did - but even having all my expenses paid wouldn't tempt me to supervise a group of other people's kids on a school trip  ;D

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 05:50:29 pm »
last year they did a trip to New York and my middle son wanted to go so his dad paid the deposit only for them to announce a seperate trip to Holland to spend a week football training, which he much preferred but what a battle I had getting the school to switch his deposit from NY to Holland!!!
I have emailed the school asking if there are going to be any other more reasonably priced trips in the offing that us mere mortals can afford  ;D

keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 06:50:58 pm »
It's nothing new.  Way back in the dark ages when I was in the 6th form, a trip was announced to Russia.  This was when nobody went there, it was all mysterious, and everyone was advised to take several pairs of Levis because they could sell them for loads.  Only one girl from our class could afford to go.  Oddly the rest of us just accepted the situation and went on our French and German exchanges which just cost the ferry fare.  I much preferred that to something like a week on the train, then another week home again.  We really liked the tales Sheila brought back with her, but I don't remember any feeling of 'them' and 'us'.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 08:38:41 pm »
Far too much pressure on parents and very unfair on any child who knows they will not be going due to cost.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 08:58:26 pm »
Blooming heck I remember being thrilled by a day trip to St Andrews!
Anne

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 09:03:44 pm »
That far, eh!  We went to the British Museum - it was a bus ride away.  Considering schools are always bandying the word "partnership" around in connection with parents you'd think they could actually ask the parents what they think before opening their big mouths and getting the children revved up.  In addition to the trip itself there will be the extras like spending money, a passport and new clothes and luggage for some folks. 

Quirkygirl

• Joined May 2015
  • Cwmbran, Wales
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 10:05:49 pm »
The cost of school trips are getting out of hand.   Our sons trip is £598 and oh the school are nice by saying we can pay in two payments. Like we have that money just sat around...

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 11:50:02 pm »
the school are doing a monthly payment scheme but a deposit of £250 and then over a £100 a month, that's almost my weeks wages!
I don't see why the school can't do a survey amongst parents, its not a huge school so we can sit down with our children and say IF you were to go on a school trip WHERE would you like to go or find out what is a reasonable amount for a family to pay?
But then there's the whole issue of well its ok for you to take my children out of school for 17 days but I have to beg if I want to take them on a family holiday during term time when the prices are reasonable  >:(

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 12:43:18 am »
When I was at school it was a day trip to London zoo and we paid in weekly instalments, around 2/- a week (ok I am going back a bit). Whe my children were at Primary school they had day trips as well but we would get a letter about it a week or two beforehand and be asked for all the money by return. It wasn't a huge amount but finding it times three was very hard as we were on a very low income at the time.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 06:54:58 am »
When I was at school i went on a ski trip to italy, it cost around £700 plus having to buy all the ski equipment etc. My dad paid for it but i know that I would never be able to afford such a trip for my children.

My eldest daughter went on a day trip to mainland a few weeks ago to the leisure center where they had lots of activities and a roller disco. The ferry fee was funded by the community council so it cost me £3.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS