Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: selling eggs - legislation  (Read 20287 times)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: selling eggs - legislation
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2010, 10:48:23 am »
I had a trading standards visit last year, he told me if I have less than 50 birds I can sell at the gate, in or out of boxes and never mentioned whether I could say free range. I wouldnt wash them though, when they are laid they have a membrane on the outside to protect them, wash it off and they can become contaminated, over 50 birds you have to register with defra on the poultry register and the rules change! so for 16 birds I';d sell at the gate however you like until someone tells you you cant! :chook:
your mistaking the defra register with the egg rules the defra bit is just animal health related brought out when there was the concern about bird flu. there are specifications on what is classed as free range and once you start classifying then you do need to get registered. but really it very simple to become registed. apart from the two visits one to check the production and the other to check the packing side all you need is a candler (light in box) a set of digital scales and a cool ordor animal free storage unit. sideboard in our case. and once you get approved you need a stamp.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2010, 10:54:07 am »
Ok thanks, but as far as I understand it, less than 50 birds then there are no rules, I only sell to friends as our road is too busy and fast for folk to stop, otherwise I would.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2010, 11:31:35 am »
a bit of light reading
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/90927/0021840.pdf
its scottish but it will be the same. if you use the term free range you fall within the rules even if you have2 chickens.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2010, 11:41:20 am »
thanks Paul will have a read. It's not really worth me registering yet so will stay away from washing eggs and saying free range for now. Cheers Helen

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2010, 02:40:16 pm »
Does anyone know where you can buy the equipment for going legit??

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2010, 06:58:24 pm »
what do you mean. you need to candle the eggs for air space gives a very good idea how old the egg is. it also shows cracks that you would miss by just looking. you may see blood spots but our eggs are pretty dark so hard to see. you need a digital set of scales. you need a odour/vermin free storage unit a cupboard will do. once you have been aproved you will get your number which you then get a stamp made up. you need food grade ink for the stamping. when you speak to the animal health people they will give you a pile of paper work this will guide you through what you must do. get someone who has a design skill to make up some labels. it really is easy we have done it sio it must be. you also need to record the number of eggs coming in and going out with the number of rejects.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2010, 07:35:56 pm »
I got the paperwork in today, bloody hell, it looks a nightmare!!!
Ratio of hens to boxes, depth of litter, space per hen, the list goes on........
If i sell my eggs, it could bring in over £1000 per year. Is it worth it? Who sells the candle, weigh scales etc??

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2010, 08:27:35 pm »
get or make a wooden boxs and fit a light inside. you can buy them from places like ascot ect. but as i said im tight. normal kitchen scales are fine weight the empty box  zero and the weigh each six then you can decide on your minimum weight. dont worry too much about the depth of litter if they free range just insure its clean before the i nspection. knock up some boxs with ply much cheaper than buying. 1-2k is very easily achieved but your not going to make a fortune

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2010, 08:41:06 pm »
Is there an age limit for the hens?

I know that commercial units get rid of their hens at 72 weeks old. I was wondering if this is a legal requirement when selling class A eggs.
Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2010, 08:56:37 pm »
no. the age of the hen does matter to you thou. the older then hen the larger and thinner the shell that why they cull them off. plan to cull every two years/ 2 1/2 and you should be ok. anything longer and your running a retirement home. grade a is purely down to the quality of the egg.

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2010, 08:57:05 pm »
Just been reading on DEFRA about the flocks needing to be vaccinated and tested for salmonella. You also have to get the local council give you a food processing hygeine certificate(not sure if this is the correct term). If you want to sell your eggs as Class A to a shop.

I sell mine at the farmgate and would like to be a registered producer, packing station and seller of Class A eggs. But it all does seem a tad long winded.

DJ Chook
Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2010, 09:46:24 pm »
you would need to get approved as a producer and packing unit once you have the packing number you can sell to shops/schools or anyone.. the vacination is upto you. ive not heard of it as a requirement. if your just selling at the farm gate then don't bother. but it really is easy.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2010, 10:42:55 pm »
I think I will stick to my farm gate selling .....I already have enough paperwork etc. just for the goats, sheep, and cows, without starting with eggs paperwork too.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2010, 03:45:15 pm »
Me too be happy to sell at the gate as well as to family and friends.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2010, 12:27:58 pm »
I complied with all the legal gumf they sent, applied for an inspection and they just sent me a packing station number and producer number through the post. Never even came near, I could have been running a battery shed for all they know....... I should have applied for organic ::). It is worth doing though and it is free, I still sell at the gate but have more options opened up to me now.As they said on the phone rules will change in the future and everyone selling eggs will have to apply, best to get a head start. Hermit

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS