Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Seed Potatoes  (Read 7232 times)

HeronsReach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Cumbria
Seed Potatoes
« on: February 21, 2010, 11:13:06 pm »
Does anybody know a good supply of seed potatoes????

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
Re: Seed Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 10:08:47 am »
probably bit far away from you.

Bridgend garden centre, freucie, fife

i just got mine and they sell them loose more than 100 vars

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 11:33:34 am »
Thomson and Morgan - you can buy on-line

HeronsReach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 08:50:05 pm »
Sorry should have been more clear. Its the 21kg bags i'm after.

Thanks

Alan

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 02:16:36 pm »
Hi,

We do 25Kg bags various varieties - if you dont see what you want just ask - we may have them - stocks changing daily

eg. 25 KG Maris Bard or Shannon £18, Nadine £16.50, Maris Piper £14.00 + Many Other Varieties

Gareth
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 03:21:35 pm by supplies for smallholders »
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 02:53:15 pm »
Hello HR you didn't say how many you need but if like me you have no room and grow them in box's Google Taylors seed potato's They supply in 10's  and larger quantity of course they are expensive pro rata £3.99p per Kg now work that to a tonne £3990.00p Phew But if you buy in tonnes from people like Jamison Bros they come down in price per tonne like Lady Crystl £440 0r 25kgs £14.00 There is a vast difference int there
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Flecktimus

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 07:56:14 pm »
Does anybody know a good supply of seed potatoes????

Tescos

I buy up there out of date potatoes for seed

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 07:58:43 pm »
Don't you get problems with blight or diseases of the tesco taters Flecktimus?

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 09:29:08 am »
I will argue with any one sage there is no such thing as a potato that isn't susceptible to blight All you need is a nice warm damp day and its there ??? :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 02:40:01 pm »
I managed to save some of my taters from blight last year - the outdoor toms got it first and was gone overnight, then the leaves on the tater plants started to look iffy, so I moved the other bags away. The afflicted ones turned to slime very quickly yuk. Think it depends on where you are doesn't it - some places don't get it at all?

Flecktimus

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 03:13:07 pm »
Don't you get problems with blight or diseases of the tesco taters Flecktimus?

When i was a young lad working on potato farms i never once seen the farmer hand pick his seed, quite simply so much of the crop was kept for seed and the rest sold.

Its like everything else in our marketing world, give a product the correct tag and charge more money.

So to answer to your question is i will let you know next year, but i have no reason to believe that the potatoes sent to tescos have had the same treatment as the so called seed potatoes.

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 04:35:46 pm »
Hi,

If anyone wants to get all technical on Blight and How & when it occurs then take a look at http://www.blightwatch.co.uk/content/bw-Home.asp

Thanks

Gareth
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 02:24:10 pm »
I got 3 warnings from Blightwatch last year but still mananged to get a good crop of spuds, my toms (40 of em) all died though despite spraying

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 03:16:08 pm »
Flectimus Yes I more or less agree The potato crop in the main is pasted over a 50m/m riddle Ware passes over the top sieve and 50 and below drop through on to a smaller say 11/4" the good 2" pass up one side the elevator to the Bagger the seed up the other to be bagged as seed and the little ones drop through and come out the side as pig food but I see some one has noticed a niche in the market for a Salad Potato so these are now collected and marketed.Tesco this morning £1.00p pr Kg;Tom was offered £40 a metric ton for top quality Accord yesterday Thats a 1000 bags =£1000 plus handling or should I say less handling costs. No wonder Tesco is hard up.By the way it is NOT a good idea to set your last years potato again this year That is why you see Selected Scottish Seed Potato.Top class Scots Desiree was 400 pounds a tonne yesterday as was Accord.

clint1961

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 06:37:10 pm »
I am currently paying less then £50 tonne for graded, bagged Ceaser from last year out of coldstore. Re-grading and selling well as they make brilliant chip. Sort out all the small ones that shouldn't really be in bags and sell as seed potatoes or salad potatoes at £1.00/5.5kg.

Seeeemples! ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS