Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nothing is growing  (Read 12518 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Nothing is growing
« on: May 30, 2015, 09:20:40 am »
Even the veg in the pollytunnel are slow and I feel its a waste of time this year. I planted out some cabbage plants last weekend. Thursday we had a day of hail and wind so they look as if they have had it. All my flowers in pots still inside. Even the apple trees are just starting to blossom now. At this rate veg will be costly through the winter. If I keep my pepper plants in the house will I still get peppers well into the autumn. have veg planted in big tubs but still in the tunnel so might just leave them there. The only plants doing well are the mixed lettuce. I have them in hanging baskets in the tunnel. Saw the idea on facebook and it works a treat. Might try this with strawberries next year to get some early fruit.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Nothing is growing
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 10:33:01 am »
Wish the grass in the fields would grow a bit faster  :-[

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 11:00:25 am »
Same in my greenhouse nothing growing ????, tomatoes look  well sad !

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 11:06:58 am »
Wish the grass in the fields would grow a bit faster  :-[

me too! My hay guy was saying it's very slow too but luckily last year was so good, he still has plenty. So darn cold and we have snow forecast Monday morning.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 01:01:16 pm »
Mine seem to be OK - everything in the greenhouse is now hardened off and outside in raised beds or under glass. Tomatoes are now in their grow bags - 5 for £8 from B & Q so two of them are against the fence with peas and beans in them
My next problem is pigeons and white butterflies.  :rant:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 01:19:58 pm »
We're forecast very strong gusty winds tomorrow, all after noon, so I'm glad I haven't put much outside yet.  What's out there should be ok, especially if I tie the broad beans up.
Everything else is in the tunnel and all is doing fine.  Only the cucumbers (4' tall  :o) are still in the house in 4" pots, and will go up into the tunnel after this wind.  I think/hope the worst of the cold will be over in a few days.
Maybe because I never expect much from my plants before the end of May, I'm not bothered by the stage they're at now.  Tomatoes are about 40cm tall, nice dark green, still in the greenhouse in pots, just waiting for manure, seaweed meal and comfrey to be dug into their planting holes, then they'll be out. Same for the squashes, which are looking wonderful - the courgettes went out into the tunnel soil yesterday and look as if they've been there for weeks.  Climbing beans have nice sturdy leaves, but haven't started to run yet, so the ideal time to get them into the soil - I usually leave them too long and end up spending ages untangling the stems  ::)
The only things which are totally pathetic are the sweetcorn and leeks.  My leek seedlings are maybe 3" tall and have a lot of growing to do if they're going to be worth planting out in early July.  I'm not too bothered with the sweetcorn, as it was a packet which came free with a magazine, but I'm just giving it a go.

I hope everyone else's plants catch up in time to get a good crop.  :fc: for better growing weather.  :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 01:39:17 pm »
Had so little rain until yesterday and I am absolutely hopeless at watering, so was really grateful for the torrential rain yesterday.  My vegs were obviously waiting for it too, as everything has grown since yesterday!  My beans are pretty poorly looking but one has just started to run so it's just a matter of time before we are all thinking "what on earth was I worried about?"  ;D   Only just put straw under my strawberries and ate my first fruit.  Been barrowing loads of compost into my new raised fruit beds and am absolutely knackered!  And somebody here has just reminded me I haven't even sown any squashes....off to try that now!

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 08:19:26 pm »
Not sure where you all are but even in Hampshire things seem slow. Night temperatures have not got anywhere decent yet.

Beans have been out for a few weeks, but still look a lot like they did when I put them in. Sweet corns have been out for weeks and look alive, and perhaps 1cm taller! Brassicas and carrots ok but slow, can't get any parsnips to germinate outside. Only things looking very good are spuds, strawberries and onions.

Grass is slow too. I'm hoping it will all kick off soon and we'll wonder why we worried, as said in earlier post!
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 11:17:13 pm »
The only things in the garden that are growing well (other than the weeds) is the potatoes that I didn't actually plant but that come up every year.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 11:18:26 pm »
and the grass that i can't get cut down because the ride on mower gear belt packed in!  :rant: :rant: :rant:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 01:14:09 pm »
A 15metre row of carrots... and not one germinated in 6 weeks. I;ve just rotorvated that up and rsown with a second row of parsnips (firs row came up 3 weeks ago)
Also put in a second row of 800 peas, a new row of carrots, a second row of spring onions..

Reserve runners/ dwarf and climbing beans germinating in greenhouse.. the first lot all look crappy in the field. A third lot of brassica seeds just germinated 120 modules to complement the 2 lots of 80 that are doing OK in the veggie plot.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 01:32:25 pm »
I am having similar problems in South Devon  - things not germinating, and those that do are all small and not getting going at all and the pigeons keep eating the peas as they come up! Will try again and hope the warmer weather might allow them to grow faster than the pigeons can eat them!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 04:48:40 pm »
I always sow my peas under chicken wire... if you pin it each side through a hole a few hole-rows up and thread the stick to a bottom hole... then it forms a tunnel shape.. protects from birds and mice. Once the peas are properly growing you re pin on one side as a support fence. I've been using the same rolls of chcken wire for 4 years now and they look good for a long time yet.
I;ve got a set of dwarf beans under another roll.. waiting for them to germinate too.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 09:25:28 am »
Same in my greenhouse nothing growing ????, tomatoes look  well sad !
Me too no idea what's gone wrong my peas have done ok and so have my courgettes and runners. The grass in the garden is getting out of hand no sooner I cut it it grows huge again. The fields are not as good as they could be but they're ok.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 10:59:57 pm »
The last couple of days of warmth seem to have done the trick. The peas are through now, the beetroot have started to look healthy and the beans are showing some sign of life.  :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS